Using VPN with abcxyz@exemail.com.au emails

Email setup and troubleshooting

Using VPN with abcxyz@exemail.com.au emails

Postby maggie on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi there. I just can get them to work. The emails can arive in my inbox but I cannot send any emails when I am using VPN. Contact with VPN provider said:
The fact that you cannot send ISP mails is most likely due to the fact that the mailserver doesn't allow IP's from outside their IP pool. So most likely a ISP issue.

Is there a fix to using VPN on Exetel emails?
maggie

Re: Using VPN with abcxyz@exemail.com.au emails

Postby KavindaS on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 pm

maggie wrote:Hi there. I just can get them to work. The emails can arive in my inbox but I cannot send any emails when I am using VPN. Contact with VPN provider said:
The fact that you cannot send ISP mails is most likely due to the fact that the mailserver doesn't allow IP's from outside their IP pool. So most likely a ISP issue.

Is there a fix to using VPN on Exetel emails?

Can you paste the exact error message you get when try to send en email using the VPN connection? There should be a error message with a error code.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby maggie on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:19 pm

This is what I get eventually. For a while before it is just spinning around trying to connect to server. Once VPN disconnected the email will go straight through.

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au timed out. Try again.
maggie

Postby Dazzled on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Exetel's outgoing SMTP server needs no authentication, but it enforces an Exetel-only IP address for the sender. Your VPN is coming to the server from an outside address.

You can receive because the connection to the POP server is authenticated by password.

Webmail has a log in function.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby maggie on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I am using Thunderbird email client. Are you saying that the only way to send emails is from a web browser? Not an email client?

How would sending Exetel emails work from my mobile phone? That wouldn't be using the Exetel IP addresses either?
maggie

Postby Dazzled on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 pm

It's not about sending emails. It's about your VPN.

Thunderbird connects directly to either the POP server for receipt or to the SMTP server for sending. With no VPN that's ok, because the SMTP server sees your Exetel IP address (not email address) and connects in plain text.

The whole point of the VPN is to obscure you. You are connected to a server somewhere else, usually encrypted, along with many others, which passes your traffic on, using it's address as source. Yours is thereby hidden. The SMTP server at Exetel won't connect.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby maggie on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:54 pm

So I can't use Thunderbird but I can use a web browser to connect via Squirrel Mail? Or what ever it is called :)

And can I connect to Exetel email servers to send my emails if I use my phone email app?
maggie

Postby KavindaS on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 am

maggie wrote:So I can't use Thunderbird but I can use a web browser to connect via Squirrel Mail? Or what ever it is called :)

And can I connect to Exetel email servers to send my emails if I use my phone email app?

Yes you can use https://webmail.exetel.com.au/src/login.php

Phone email app with Exetel wifi won't be an issue. If the mobile data connected and if you are unable to send emails through the mobile email app, try entering the mobile provider's smtp (outgoing) email server address.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Return to Email issues