Can receive mails cannot send mails

Email setup and troubleshooting

Can receive mails cannot send mails

Postby mywong on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:47 am

After set up my Exeter email account on new iPad with iOS 11.2.1 it was found it can receive mail but cannot send mail. The error message said the mail address “rejected by the server”.

The setting was copied from my old iPad with iOS 9.3.5 which can send mail with no problem. My other two devices, MacBook Pro and imax can also send mail.

Anyone has similar mail problem with iPad and iPhone using iOS 11. I had deleted and set up new mail account as well as power down and back up several times. Yes I have change authentication from password to MD5 Challenge Response. I am using standard Mail client in iPad. Never had setting up mail problem before.
mywong

Re: Can receive mails cannot send mails

Postby KavindaS on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

mywong wrote:After set up my Exeter email account on new iPad with iOS 11.2.1 it was found it can receive mail but cannot send mail. The error message said the mail address “rejected by the server”.

The setting was copied from my old iPad with iOS 9.3.5 which can send mail with no problem. My other two devices, MacBook Pro and imax can also send mail.

Anyone has similar mail problem with iPad and iPhone using iOS 11. I had deleted and set up new mail account as well as power down and back up several times. Yes I have change authentication from password to MD5 Challenge Response. I am using standard Mail client in iPad. Never had setting up mail problem before.

To make it send the correct authentication request please follow the following path in your
settings:

Settings => Accounts & Passwords => Select your exemail account => Advanced => Authentication

Select 'MD5 Challenge-Response' followed by "Back" and then, finally, "Done" to save the change.

Alternatively:

Mail => Preferences => Accounts => Select your exemail account => Advanced => Authentication

Select 'MD5 Challenge-Response' followed by "Back" and then, finally, "Save" to save the change.

If you have checked with all of above, just for testing could you please login to the web mail https://webmail.exetel.com.au/src/login.php and try to send emails using the same email account to make sure no issues within the exemail account?
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby mywong on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:22 pm

I had changed the authentication to “MD5 Challenge-Response”.

Using the webmail on my new iPad, I had sent an email to Exeter help desk. Looking at the ticket history I can see it was successfully sent and received. Also the email from help desk was received by my mail account on my new iPad.

To verify the mail settings are correct, I will send to Exetel helpdesk two screen shots of the settings for their review.

What I really want to know is that can emails from the new iOS 11.2.1 mail account be sent to Exeter server?
mywong

Postby KavindaS on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 am

mywong wrote:I had changed the authentication to “MD5 Challenge-Response”.

Using the webmail on my new iPad, I had sent an email to Exeter help desk. Looking at the ticket history I can see it was successfully sent and received. Also the email from help desk was received by my mail account on my new iPad.

To verify the mail settings are correct, I will send to Exetel helpdesk two screen shots of the settings for their review.

What I really want to know is that can emails from the new iOS 11.2.1 mail account be sent to Exeter server?

We have not received bulk complaint based on that. However send the images and confirm here with the ticket Ref# and we will check on that.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby mywong on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:45 am

The trouble ticket is Residential Technical Support #12456636.

I had sent screen shots of the email settings to Exetel help desk. The reply is
“Please note that we are not able to see any configuration issues on your email account”

Your time and effort to look into this issue is appreciated.
mywong

Postby mywong on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:37 pm

In my internet search I found one good news story in solving cannot send mail on ios 11. An ISP (Register.com) successfully resolved the outgoing mail problem by changing the POP account to iMAP for an iPad user. See link below for more detail,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8179107

I do not know Exetel support imap but it is a possible fix.
mywong

Postby Dazzled on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:52 pm

There is a discussion of the dfferences between POP3, SMTP and IMAP at http://www.jscape.com/blog/smtp-vs-imap ... difference. To send email you need a client configuration to suit standard SMTP.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Return to Email issues