Cannot send emails

Email setup and troubleshooting
nilushid
Admin

Re: Cannot send emails

Post by nilushid » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:02 pm

davide wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:44 pm
I have a friend with the same issue I am trying to troubleshoot. Is it something on a Client Level or Back end?

I've tried nearly every permutation of settings and nothing is working, it bounces so fast.

I've literally copied every account setting on my working Outlook Account (apart from username/pw) and his still does not work. Receiving is fine.
Hi

is this email account belongs to Exetel?. If it is please inform the account owner to contact us asap to troubleshoot the service issue.

Thanks

davide

Post by davide » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks for the response, I will let him know to create a ticket.

verrnj01

Post by verrnj01 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Same issue, can receive but not send.
Webmail appears to work OK to send, but not any other client.
Have tried both Outlook and Mac, and other email accounts linked to my account, same result.
I am located in Victoria.
Have submitted a ticket #0201471753

DinukaW
Exetel Staff

Post by DinukaW » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Hi

We have already forwarded this issue to the relevant team. We will keep you updated through the email chain.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks

davide

Post by davide » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:52 pm

This is the response he got, not very helpful when you say it is a back-end issue no?

I am not even sure they read the ticket pointing out this thread. They have just cut and pasted the same response both times. (0201396185)
Thank you for your email.

As we are unable to troubleshoot Outlook issues, please be kind enough to check incoming and outgoing email with webmail.
(https://webmail.exetel.com.au/)

If you getting any errors when try to send emails with webmail please send us a screenshot of the error that your are getting.

Above testing and information will help us to identify the problem and take action to rectify the problem.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:38 pm

I'm back again. Let's troubleshoot the email account from your end first.

In times lost in history, before GUIs and Windows we had to send emails using the protocol typed in a terminal. To test the account at the server by sending an email, and checking all of the return codes, start telnet as follows in a terminal/DOS prompt window (Windows 10 needs to enable telnet - https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-enable ... windows-10

It still works today...(use your state):

telnet smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au 25
(it will reply with code 220 and a dragon message)
HELO smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au
(it should reply with code 250 and your Exetel IP address)
MAIL FROM: your-exemail-email-address-in-full
(250, we hope)
RCPT TO: target-email-address
(250 accepted, we hope)
DATA
(354, and instructions)
Subject: testing

type the test message now, end with newline
type . (full stop by itself) and newline
(250 ok, and the ID)
QUIT
(221)

The problem in the first post is commands out of order. I don't know why Outlook is getting it back to front, but the method described will enable you to check your account, and receive an error message if any step is wrong.

davide

Post by davide » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:35 pm

I've removed identifying stuff... you can probably get the details from the ticket? Why wouldn't something like this be picked up by the Service Desk? And why is it blacklisted?

220 smtp.exemail.com.au ESMTP - Here there be dragons!
helo smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au
500 unrecognized command
250 smtp.exemail.com.au Hello xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.static.exetel.com.au
[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
mail from: xxxxx@exemail.com.au
250 OK
rcpt to: xxxx@exemail.com.au
550-sender xxxxx@exemail.com.au is locally blacklisted here. If you think this
550 is wrong, get in touch with postmaster

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Well that's found a blockage. I can't help further, but hopefully the email staff/postmaster can look at it now.

Graphic/GUI email clients usually have a setting to show this conversation, and the replies, as it is what they have to do underneath in the background It is mostly not shown by default.

nilushid
Admin

Post by nilushid » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:11 am

davide wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:35 pm
I've removed identifying stuff... you can probably get the details from the ticket? Why wouldn't something like this be picked up by the Service Desk? And why is it blacklisted?

220 smtp.exemail.com.au ESMTP - Here there be dragons!
500 unrecognized command
250 smtp.exemail.com.au Hello xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.static.exetel.com.au
[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
mail from: xxxxx@exemail.com.au
250 OK
rcpt to: xxxx@exemail.com.au
550-sender xxxxx@exemail.com.au is locally blacklisted here. If you think this
550 is wrong, get in touch with postmaster
Hi

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you over this service issue and how it was handled via Case-590721. According to the hosting team, this happens when an account was blacklisted or blocked due to spam. The reason for testing the webmail was to rule out any sending issues directly from the webmail service. Once we verified this, we escalate this to the hosting team they will do the changes to get this fixed. But I understand the point you are raising here. I will escalate this and the changes advised by Dazzled to our hosting team.

Thanks

davide

Post by davide » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Appreciate the follow up and resolving the issue. Can confirm he can now send ok.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:40 pm

Thanks for the follow-up. Can you make sure he has cleaned his Windows of any malware and knows how to keep it secure.

Most spam is sent by innocents who have been got at in some way and are controlled remotely without knowing it is happening. It likely wasn't Outlook doing it, but another hidden mail app installed on the machine.