Email Account Management Policy

Email setup and troubleshooting

Postby CLoSeR on Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:56 pm

Jaegar,

This change does not affect those who use email clients like Outlook, Endora, or Thunderbird to download their email. As using one of these mail clients means that you download and clear any mail on the exetel servers when you open Outlook.

This change primarly affects those who do not download their mail using a mail client, but prefer to use Exetel Webmail.

Regards,

CLoSeR
CLoSeR

Postby Jaeger on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:05 pm

CLoSeR wrote:Jaegar,

This change does not affect those who use email clients like Outlook, Endora, or Thunderbird to download their email. As using one of these mail clients means that you download and clear any mail on the exetel servers when you open Outlook.

This change primarly affects those who do not download their mail using a mail client, but prefer to use Exetel Webmail.

Regards,

CLoSeR

Thats great, it answers my question now. I appreciate the clarification. I have nothing to worry about then.

cheers
Jaeger

Re: Email Account Management Policy

Postby nico17 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:16 pm

Bottom line, this will all come down to what we have signed up for.
Commercially, we are paying for the ADSL service that includes 15 Email addresses with 20 MBytes limit per address.

I do expect that EXETEL will respect this agreement.

NONETHELESS, I will consider having the dormant email account Suspended rather than Deleted

For reason that:
1. An ISP deleted account could be "accidentally" created / used by another Exetel user
- unless, Exetel will implement a mechanism that will reject the re-use of an "old/deleted email" previously owned by an existing customer
- Once suspended, Exetel can simply block off any incoming email to this account.
- Or even extend to cleaning up the account content as long as the Ts and Cs has been updated to reflect this action.

On the proposal(?) of deleting emails that are more than 3 months old, please do not do this. I have paid for the packaged service.
- The agreement is 20MB (max) for the limit and this should be independent of time. (of course, as long as I'm with Exetel...)

Regards
nico17

Postby James on Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:17 pm

Easy solution, check your mail once every six months, and get a hotmail/gmail/yahoo account!
James
Exetel Staff

Re: Email Account Management Policy

Postby chrisp on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:35 pm

Is the following a reasonable interpretation of the very first post in this thread?
Can any Exetel admin clarify or correct an invalid point?
-- chrispie

[ ... ]

Exetel will put in place the following policies from 1st February 2006:

1) Deletion of any email account that has not been used for more than six months.
• Using an email program (Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird etc.) to check the account will keep the account active, as long as this is done at least once everry six months.
• Even if you do not receive any new email at the email account during a six month period, checking your email keeps the account alive for the purposes of this policy.

2) Deletion of email on the server that is more than three months old
• Any email items in your inbox that are more than three months old will be deleted.
chrisp

Postby chrisp on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:49 pm

NetworkAdmin wrote:
When you check the account, it moves email from the 'new' directory to the 'cur' directory. If that is done on a period of at least once every six months, the account would be considered active.

Is this the only definition of active?

This implies that simply checking an account (using an email application) will not keep an account active if no new mail has been received. If this is the case, an exemail account must receive at least one new email each six months, and also be checked with an email program, to be deemed active.

When I read other parts of this thread, it also seems that simply checking an unused account (with no new email) also keeps the account active for the purposes of this policy.

Also: if a new email is received one month after an account is checked, then the account is checked five months later, the email will be deleted (as it is already more than three months old, and the 'oldmaildeletion' daemon might have already got it.
In this case, I would expect the policy could (technically and administratively! :)) be changed to "deletion of read emails that are older than three months".
chrisp

Postby NetworkAdmin on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:47 pm

chrisp wrote:Is this the only definition of active?

Um, yes.

This implies that simply checking an account (using an email application) will not keep an account active if no new mail has been received.

Does it? I thought it implied the opposite.

When I read other parts of this thread, it also seems that simply checking an unused account (with no new email) also keeps the account active for the purposes of this policy.

That is what I thought too.

Also: if a new email is received one month after an account is checked, then the account is checked five months later, the email will be deleted (as it is already more than three months old, and the 'oldmaildeletion' daemon might have already got it.
In this case, I would expect the policy could (technically and administratively! :)) be changed to "deletion of read emails that are older than three months".

It just goes to show that no matter how carefully you think you have phrased something, it can still be interpreted completely differently.
NetworkAdmin

Postby chrisp on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:23 pm

Thank-you for the prompt reply NetworkAdmin.

I take it that my post just previous to the one you answered is a correct construction of the policy?
chrisp

Postby bcann on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:00 pm

why is it that when you want to make what most ppl consider to be reasonable changes that someone always thinks it will be the end of the earth. i mean exetel offer a pretty damn competitive service at not too bad a price i might say (hey i should ask for comission eh?? :) and yet people STILL want to whinge that geeez my 20 email address's that i have along with there 20MB space MIGHT get deleted if i dont check it every 3 months or so?? BIG DEAL ..... if you haven't used it in that long surely to god it can be deleted .... and like admin said the webmail function is intended to make life easier for travelling person who just can't wait till they get back to the office/home/wherever to check there email ... its not intended to be your electronic storage space....

really people... either forward it, pop3 it or create a junk email like the rest of us do!
bcann

Previous

Return to Email issues