Much spam

Email setup and troubleshooting
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Much spam

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:31 pm

Jeff wrote:I get spam from email accounts that I do not own. I suspect exetel just dumps it in my box because I don't pay the 2 bucks.
It is likely that the spam is getting delivered to your Exetel account via a Bcc entry, which is why you do not see it being addressed to you.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:53 am

Jeff wrote:I get spam from email accounts that I do not own. I suspect exetel just dumps it in my box because I don't pay the 2 bucks.
Hah! :) It should be noted that the From: and To: headers that you see can be complete nonsense just as the sender (top right traditionally) and recipient (Dear blah) in a real letter can be complete nonsense. It's what's on the envelope that counts (with normal mail that's what is told the postman via the envelope and with email it's what's told the server itself via SMTP commands).

Andrew

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 am

It really does not bother me as I have a very good filter in place. I would get 40 a day, hit the shift/delete key and they are gone.
:wink:
Or not, your email address is probably bcc'ed.

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 pm

OK...just discovered the spam filter feature and it's certainly blocked the spam since I turned it on a day or so ago...just a question...

when I only relied on Norton to filter spam, quite a few legitimate emails ended up in my SPAM folder. Should I still be checking somewhere to see if those messages are now being blocked by the spam filter on the Exetel server? (if so, where?)

Thanks.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi Fiona

It depends on how you set up the spam filters in your User Facilities.

First go to "View Email Accounts" - you'll see that any email accounts for which you have turned on the spam filter will have a "Change" button beside them rather than an "Add" button. Click on the "Change" button and you see the options for deleting or quarantining spam or suspected spam. Select the options you prefer then click "Change" at the bottom of the page. If you selected quarantine for spam and/or suspected spam you will now see the "Quarantine" button is accessible against the spam filtered email accounts when you look at "View Email Accounts". To see your quarantined emails, just click that button and follow the directions to delete definite spam or move any false positives back into your Exemail Inbox. If you don't review your quarantined emails they will be automatically deleted (after 2-4 weeks from memory).

After a few weeks you may find the spam filter is so good that you don't need to review quarantined spam - at that point you can change your spam settings again to just delete definite spam (and perhaps also suspect spam).

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:51 pm

Thanks Gidget

I opted for quarantine, but when I go to check the quarantine I get a Search option with nothing showing?

Fiona