Cannot retrieve emails from server.

Email setup and troubleshooting
shibumi

Cannot retrieve emails from server.

Post by shibumi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi there, perhaps someone can help me. I am using Thunderbird am connected to the internet & can send emails but cannot retrieve them. However they are sitting at the server, Exemail, I know as I have sent one to myself.
When I try to get my mail all I get is a message, " Could not connect to the server 127.0.1.1; the connection was refused". Perhaps there is a little button somewhere that I should press but I cannot find it. I would appreciate some input to my problem. Many thanks. Shibumi.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Sounds like your incoming mail server is not set to the correct address: pop3.[state].exemail.com.au. See http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php?title=Email_page for email client set up instructions.

Also a possibility is thatyou have a third party firewall or anti virus program preventing you accessing your email properly. Disable any such software temporarily to see if this allows your email through.

shibumi

Post by shibumi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:54 am

Hi, thats what it sounds like to me also. If you go into: tools/account settings/
server settings. What should there be after server name?? The server name or IP address?. This was somehow changed when I tried to install some Mailwasher software . As I mentioned previously I am connected and can send mail as well as having access to my browser. What is the correct server name or server address??. Any help would be appreciated. Shibumi.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:38 am

shibumi wrote:Hi, thats what it sounds like to me also. If you go into: tools/account settings/
server settings. What should there be after server name?? The server name or IP address?. This was somehow changed when I tried to install some Mailwasher software . As I mentioned previously I am connected and can send mail as well as having access to my browser. What is the correct server name or server address??. Any help would be appreciated. Shibumi.
It should be set to pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au

I think your mailwasher program has setup a redirect to 127.0.0.1 in your PC hosts file.

Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\

Find the file called "hosts" open it using Notepad, and delete everything below the line which looks like this "127.0.0.1 localhost". Then save the file.

Code: Select all

# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

Also, it may be that mailwasher wants to scan your mail before delivering it to your mailbox, either way I would suggest you uninstall this application until you have your mail working.

Regards,

CLoSeR
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

shibumi

Post by shibumi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanks Closer, I have uninstalled it and am searching for the file mentioned, I''ll see how I go. Is there anyway I can change my password for the Email account because it keeps asking for my password and when I enter it, it rejects it, I have only ever had the one password. Shibumi.

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:26 pm

shibumi wrote:Thanks Closer, I have uninstalled it and am searching for the file mentioned, I''ll see how I go. Is there anyway I can change my password for the Email account because it keeps asking for my password and when I enter it, it rejects it, I have only ever had the one password. Shibumi.
You can do this in your user facilities under Email Setup -> View Email Account. Then just click on the 'Edit Password' button for the corresponding email account.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

shibumi

Post by shibumi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi there once again,
I have tried changing my password but still to no avail, the error keeps saying: Alert: Sending the password did not succeed. Mail server pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au responded: Authentication failed. I don't know what else I can do. Any suggestions??. Thanks again. Shibumi.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:08 pm

shibumi wrote:Hi there once again,
I have tried changing my password but still to no avail, the error keeps saying: Alert: Sending the password did not succeed. Mail server pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au responded: Authentication failed. I don't know what else I can do. Any suggestions??. Thanks again. Shibumi.
Ok, make sure your using your full email address as the connection username.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

shibumi

Re: Cannot retrieve emails from server.

Post by shibumi » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, problem solved . The Mailwasher I installed had duplicated my user address so once I deleted it everything was back to normal. Just shows what can happen when you download "Free Software". I'll be more careful in future. Thanks once again. Shibumi.