Could RoundCube be installed?

Email setup and troubleshooting
srssms

Could RoundCube be installed?

Post by srssms » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:14 pm

Hello,

I'm getting tired of Squirrel Mail, I know it does the job but my work recently upgraded their web email interface to RoundCube instead of Squirrel Mail and I've found RoundCube to have a lot more features and just so much more user friendly with a neat layout. I've found Squirrel Mail to just be the same old same with no user extensions or anything. But I was wondering if Exetel could upgrade to RoundCube?

I think its PHP based, this is it I think for more information: http://roundcube.net/

Cheers.

danielc

Re: Could RoundCube be installed?

Post by danielc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:37 am

Hi srssms,

We may consider roundcube at some point in the future as a replacement for squirrelmail, but at this stage in it's development we do not regard it as mature enough to use on our production servers. (The current version is 0.2-alpha).

Regards,
Daniel C

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:27 pm

If Exetel were to upgrade Webmail access I would recommend looking at @Mail, it has much more available to it like SMS, mobile/wireless services integrated into it. I think it would be of more benefit to Exetel and it's customers with some of the Wireless offerings that are being released.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

danielc

Post by danielc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:40 am

@mail does look nice, but it is debateable if the added functionality that it provides over clients like squirrelmail and roundcube is worth the licensing cost.

Regards,
Daniel C

leithant

Post by leithant » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if Roundcube has been reconsidered as a replacement for Squirrelmail now that it has reached a stable release? I have been using the webmail function a bit more of late and good Lord it's ugly! :shock:

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:02 pm

I would like to see a webmail client that has the ability to be easily viewed via a mobile device, especially with the HSPA plans Exetel now offers.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:11 pm

You can change Squirrelmail appearance, themes and colours, under "options".

If that doesn't go far enough, insert a user javascript or css stylesheet in your browser, and change nearly everything.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:14 pm

leithant wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if Roundcube has been reconsidered as a replacement for Squirrelmail now that it has reached a stable release? I have been using the webmail function a bit more of late and good Lord it's ugly! :shock:
The word 'beta' in the version line tends to tell me it has not released a stable release. That'd be, more then likely, the first release after the first actually stable release (ie 1.0.1 or 1.1 or somesuch).

Andrew

jayday

Post by jayday » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Mod Delete
Last edited by jayday on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leithant

Post by leithant » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 am

Well even though it's tagged a beta, it's also been described as a stable release since early this year.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 am

leithant wrote:Well even though it's tagged a beta, it's also been described as a stable release since early this year.
When they draw up the courage to do a non-microsoft stable release, I will consider it.

Andrew

leithant

Post by leithant » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:36 am

LOL, fair enough.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:23 am

SysAdmin wrote:
When they draw up the courage to do a non-microsoft stable release, I will consider it.

Andrew
Sounds good to me! :mrgreen:
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

danielc

Post by danielc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:13 am

I've been using Roundcube at home for a good amount of time now, and whilst it is getting close, it still has more than its fair share of little foibles with the way it runs. I suspect that the fact that it is still a Beta is meant to reflect this :)

-- Daniel C

leithant

Post by leithant » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Given the decision on roundcube, any chance of a nicer professional theme for squirrelmail?