Trying to find deleted/lost email

Email setup and troubleshooting
monners

Trying to find deleted/lost email

Post by monners » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Does anyone know if exetel can retrieve an email that we may have either deleted or lost. A biller is stating that they sent an email and now it looks like they might take things further, i dont remember receiving any emails from this person. I have checked on exetels webserver login, and it is not there.

Can a request be put through or anything?

Thanks

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Trying to find deleted/lost email

Post by jokiin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:00 pm

monners wrote:Does anyone know if exetel can retrieve an email that we may have either deleted or lost. A biller is stating that they sent an email and now it looks like they might take things further, i dont remember receiving any emails from this person. I have checked on exetels webserver login, and it is not there.

Can a request be put through or anything?

Thanks
I don't believe there are any archives kept of email, I think you might be out of luck

monners

Post by monners » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:14 pm

Great........ Thanks

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Do you delete emails after you receive them? There is a small chance that an IT person could retrieve it from your Outlook / Outlook Express folders.

JeremyP

Post by JeremyP » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:39 am

Unfortunately we cannot retrieve any lost email as we do not make any backups of emails on our mail servers.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:45 am

JeremyP wrote:Unfortunately we cannot retrieve any lost email as we do not make any backups of emails on our mail servers.
Indeed. That said we can, for a $25 fee, check the logs to see if there is an entry for the receipt and delivery of an email. We'd need an email sent to hosting@exetel.com.au from the registered account owner

a. approving the charge
b. providing the date/time, sender and recipient of the email in question.

This may or may not help you and, of course, we make no claims that it's actually proof of anything. You will also be charged regardless of whether or not we find something (the charge is for the time taken, though if the date is beyond the period we have logs for there will be no charge).

Andrew