can't send e-mails

Email setup and troubleshooting
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: can't send e-mails

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:42 pm

The modem goes to the router by USB cable. This is only done to place the modem somewhere the signal is better. Only the router can see the modem, using the set up pages. The laptop cannot see the modem.

The next step is the router broadcasts to the Netgear radio gadget plugged into your laptop. When you set up the router wireless section you configured both an ESSID (as mentioned earlier) and a long password/passphrase WPA security system.

If the Netgear isn't plugged in you have no network connection at all at the laptop. If it's in, then, 3rd step - in your laptop Windows Control Panel you would have configured both the ESSID name, and the password. If this is the only configured wireless device you should be connecting to it. If there are any other wireless broadcasts coming from round about, your computer will detect them and if unprotected you may choose to connect to them.

What your computer should detect and show is the ESSID coming from all nearby routers, including yours (unless this feature has been suppressed in the routers).
Last edited by Dazzled on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

granny1

Post by granny1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi,
I have solved the mystery of no emails going out.....
Duh.... because I was waiting for my new modem, I was using a OPTUS BOOST MODEM.....Duh different isp...
Bu, this still doesn't explain why I don't have the connect to this choice in my Desktop start menu.
I did say I have granny brain.
Regards granny :oops:

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:00 pm

One problem confirmed....

Back to the modem. When running in the 3G router, the modem is invisible to both the desktop computer and the laptop computer. It has no network address, it is just an appendage of the router.

If you plug either computer into the router by ethernet cable they will work, no passwords etc needed. Each computer can talk to the other by calling up its network address.

If you enable wireless in the router it will broadcast, using an "ESSID name" as the identification. Any wireless enabled computer can get onboard. The computer's wireless device, whether built-in to the motherboard, or an external device, can be found in the control panel, but it's not a lot of practical use at present. What you want to see is the connect to wireless form, which will ask for the SSID name (or" network name" in Microsoft-speak) and the password (if any).

It's in Network Connections>Wireless Network Connection>Properties>Wireless Networks if my memory is still there (I don't use Windows) I would set up an automatic connection to my home network. If you take the laptop elsewhere you can still choose the local network in the Control Panel. I'm afraid XP still makes this stuff complex.

granny1

Post by granny1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Dazzled,
Thank you, you have cleared up a few questions I had.
I have redone the password in the router so that should be secure.
My Modem seems to be running ok.
E-mail is working fine.
So all that is left to do is to THANK YOU ALL :P for your continued support and assistance.
It is most appreciated by all of us that are a little bit stretched by it all.
Regards granny.