Increasing inbox space.

Email setup and troubleshooting
vv4yn0

Increasing inbox space.

Post by vv4yn0 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm

I have been searching to find if there is any options to increase the standard 40Mb of allocated email inbox space but can't find any info on it.
I have an account that i get very regular midsized emails (~300 - 500kb) and they add up quickly and some end up getting bounced as there isn't enough space.
Is there any options available to increase this to maybe 80 - 100 Mb?
Cheers,
Wayno

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Increasing inbox space.

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:28 pm

vv4yn0 wrote:I have been searching to find if there is any options to increase the standard 40Mb of allocated email inbox space but can't find any info on it.
I have an account that i get very regular midsized emails (~300 - 500kb) and they add up quickly and some end up getting bounced as there isn't enough space.
Is there any options available to increase this to maybe 80 - 100 Mb?
Cheers,
Wayno
how often are you checking your email currently, meaning how long do you go before email starts bouncing?

I don't think there is any option to increase your mailbox size but there may be better ways to handle email that might negate the problem anyway

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:43 pm

You can't increase the Exemail box, as Jokiin mentioned. Another Exetel option for document receipt may be to use your web space at home.exetel.com.au.

vv4yn0

Post by vv4yn0 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:39 pm

I guess I will just have to work something out then - it is checked as frequently as is Possible but the emails are automatically generated by an IP camera that detects movement so the emails can come every 3 minutes when there is a lot of activity - I might be better to use Gmail to send them to as they offer a lot more space.
Would have liked to keep it to my exemail mail but doesn't look like it is possible.
Thanks guys for your info and contributions, it is much appreciated.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:44 pm

vv4yn0 wrote: so the emails can come every 3 minutes when there is a lot of activity
Most, if not all, email clients can check for email as often as once a minute, so I'm assuming the system you are checking emails on is not always on?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:08 pm

How about setting up something like this on a computer: http://www.zoneminder.com/?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 pm

vv4yn0 wrote:I guess I will just have to work something out then - it is checked as frequently as is Possible but the emails are automatically generated by an IP camera that detects movement so the emails can come every 3 minutes when there is a lot of activity - I might be better to use Gmail to send them to as they offer a lot more space.
Would have liked to keep it to my exemail mail but doesn't look like it is possible.
Thanks guys for your info and contributions, it is much appreciated.
Gmail the best solution for this, I was doing the same thing, camera automatically sent me a pic by email every 5 minutes, Gmail was the best solution to handle the volume of email

BAM

Post by BAM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 pm

I too would like an increase in the email inbox size

Since each account has up to 120 email addresses associated with it and I have no need for that many (I'm flabbergasted to see this as I thought it was only 20).
Each being able to hold 40MB - total size 120 X 14 = 1680MB
BTW someone correct me if I'm on the wrong track here.

What I was wondering is would it be possible to increase the size but have fewer addresses available ? - ie:- keep the total space the same but spread across fewer addresses
Personally if I could cut my addresses back to say 30 and have even 1 or 2 at say 100MB I'd be happy - even reducing the total inbox size (1680MB to maybe 1000MB)

If possible maybe have a user input to set the actual inbox size limit of each address when setting up the addresses (like when you partition a hard drive)
eg:- 1 address with 1680MB or any number of inboxes, each with the ability of being different set sizes, but the total of all inboxes still 1680MB - hope I'm making myself clearer than mud with that lol ;)
Would that or something along those lines be possible to achieve ?
I guess it's basically giving the user more flexibility on how they use their allotted inbox size.

Regarding the sugestions of using Gmail, Yahoo etc I prefer to keep using the existing exemail addresses I have set up already otherwise I have to update all my details with all the contacts etc which is a pain changing

Cheers :)

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 pm

BAM wrote:
Regarding the sugestions of using Gmail, Yahoo etc I prefer to keep using the existing exemail addresses I have set up already otherwise I have to update all my details with all the contacts etc which is a pain changing

you can keep your email address as is when using Gmail, it has options to 'send as' so it is transparent to your recipients, it can still appear as sent from your regular account

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 pm

jokiin wrote:
BAM wrote:

you can keep your email address as is when using Gmail, it has options to 'send as' so it is transparent to your recipients, it can still appear as sent from your regular account
But the smarter solution with less long term hassle is to use the free google apps for your domain, and get your own domain name, and slowly migrate all your email addresses to that while still allowing you to grandfather the exemail address.

This has the advantages that you don't appear to be an exetel affiliate, and irrespective of your current ISP, if any, you have a stable email address.

Disadvantages are, IIRC, only 10 accounts per free domain, and paying to keep your domain. Mine is about $10/year. You do have the initial email migration issue, however I decided I'd much rather have it up front on a time frame I control rather than have it forced if I have to abandon the relative sanity of Exetel services for some other ISP.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:23 pm

samarium wrote:
jokiin wrote:
BAM wrote:

But the smarter solution with less long term hassle is to use the free google apps for your domain, and get your own domain name, and slowly migrate all your email addresses to that while still allowing you to grandfather the exemail address.

This has the advantages that you don't appear to be an exetel affiliate, and irrespective of your current ISP, if any, you have a stable email address.

Disadvantages are, IIRC, only 10 accounts per free domain, and paying to keep your domain. Mine is about $10/year. You do have the initial email migration issue, however I decided I'd much rather have it up front on a time frame I control rather than have it forced if I have to abandon the relative sanity of Exetel services for some other ISP.
agree with what you're saying, I did exactly the same a few years ago now, it's not for everyone of course but worth the effort

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:42 pm

I did the same...got plover.com.au (sweet!) and linked it to Google Apps. Only problem is, that my family members seem to prefer their current gmail.com accounts. I'm still hopeful to migrate in the future (or for Google to be able to *fully* link a Google App and Gmail email address; currently they are completely separated and you have to manually migrate your email history, contacts, etc).

Addressing the original post though, about increasing storage size (or more specifically, substituting number of accounts for larger storage limits), I think it is a very sound suggestion and one that you should submit via the Suggestion Box in your user facilities.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au