Webmail Issue?

Email setup and troubleshooting
Bowersub
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Webmail Issue?

Post by Bowersub » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:30 am

So, interestingly, I can't access the webmail site on my home network.

I can download my email through a client (either Outlook Express on my desktop which is plugged into my router via ethernet cable or to my iPhone while on my wireless network).

But, on my laptop, I can no longer access the webmail.exetel.com.au site. Even when coming from the Exetel homepage. Any other part of the Exetel site I can access, except webmail.

Just tried going to the webmail site on my iPhone, and it wouldn't connected. Oddly, I turned off wifi, and I could access it fine via 3G internet.

So, clearly, it's something in my network setup? Any one got any ideas?

P

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6002
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:10 am

It feels at first like a Windows so-called security setting on the laptop, or with some browsers, a site block. The homepage link uses a URL. Can you reach webmail at https://220.233.0.20/? If you get a certificate warning (only valid for webmail.exetel.com.au), you have connected, so accept it and you should be ok. Also see if you can ping and traceroute the IP address in case there is an IP address block that has to be found.

The phone on wifi problem may mean the block is at your modem/router, but you would then expect the desktop via router to be blocked. Some modems have specific site firewalls over and above normal NAT routing, eg Billion.

Bowersub
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Bowersub » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Just discovered that webmail is the same on my desktop. I must have never checked it, since I just use Outlook on this.

Just looking on my router and I can't find any rules blocking anything. It's a Netgear DGN2200... a router I found particularly crap for gaming, btw, since the DHCP lease expires and dumps 100% once every 24hours, a setting you can't change (so, my desktop which I do my gaming on is setup without the DHCP). That's neither here nor there.

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6002
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:31 pm

There's a quick way to rule the modem in or out - boot a live Linux CD. The ridiculously compact http://puppylinux.org/ will do, but a mainstream distro is ok. If it gets webmail, the problem lies in the Windows computers; if not, it's the router firewall. It's worth while for Windows users to keep one of these mini-systems on CD or USB stick to do disc repairs and network checks. http://partedmagic.com/ has many useful utilities, listed at http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs.

Bowersub
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Bowersub » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Would not the fact I can't access it on my iPhone (not a Windows computer) indicate that it's something else without the need to run Linux bootups?

That said, I've just scoured my router (which I'm rapidly seeing as a piece of junk) and there is NOTHING set up on any firewall on it... no blocked sites, nothing like that.

Can access mail.exetel.com.au without issue. Just can't access webmail.exetel.com.au. It's the only site I can't access. Is there no way I can check my exemail account from the mail.exetel.com.au site?

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6002
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:33 pm

The desktop/mail client works, so there isn't a block on the pop3 server address. The laptop can't get webmail (a different address). A URL link to webmail from the desktop fails, so I suspected a block somewhere on the URL (not necessarily on the IP address). The phone can get webmail via 3G, but not via the router. This made me think of the router blocking the URL. You might try the direct IP address to verify this. What happened using the direct IP address and the ping test?

Since Windows is involved on the two computers, presumably with anti-malware suites running on both, the Linux trick (which doesn't use anti-malware add-ons) would quickly point to any involvement of this kind. On the other hand, the phone doesn't use a Windows OS and acts like the Linux test.

You can check your mail accounts by telnetting the two servers - pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au on port 110 and smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au on port 25. (Change state as required). A "dragons" reply will prove a connection. If you search the forum, I have previously posted how to send/get mail by telnet. Outlook does this behind the GUI, so those systems seem to be working correctly.

To make a direct non-browser connection to webmail.exetel.com.au you have to emulate a browser's behaviour - use curl or similar.

Eg, a simple curl 220.233.0.20 will return a "No permission to access" message. curl https://220.233.0.20 should get a non-matching certificate message. Either proves you made an initial connection. Getting the mail this way is complex.

PS: A quick Google finds people complaining that Netgear eliminated telnet into busybox on that device. That would prevent downloading the actual router firewall rules. It's not a model you can put open source firmware onto either.

Bowersub
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Bowersub » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Wee... so, I win an award for longest follow up to an issue, yes?

So, today, after many more drop outs after trying various work arounds on the new router, I decided to plug my old router in. Mainly to see if the drop outs are related to the router, or to my line...

Interestingly, I just tried to access webmail, and even on the old router, one that used to be able to access it, I can't access webmail while using my Exetel internet. I can access it fine via 3G internet, but the moment any device is connected to my home internet (either direct to the router (i.e. the desktop) or via wireless (i.e. my iphone or either of three laptops), the site just times out and says it doesn't exist. This occurs on Chrome, Firefox and IE. I can still download emails via my email clients (Outlook Express and whatever the iPhone uses) while connected to my internet. But not webmail. In fact, IE directs me to the Bing search page...

So, giving up on webmail now... unfortunately, while I'm somewhat tech savvy, half of what has been said went over my head. Networking stuff like this isn't a strong point.

I just find it bizarre that, having used two different routers, a desktop running XP connected via ethernet cables, an iphone using safari, laptops running either XP or Windows 7, and multiple browsers all cannot connect to the webmail site through an Exetel connection. Haha.

rukshani
Exetel Staff
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by rukshani » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Bowersub wrote:Wee... so, I win an award for longest follow up to an issue, yes?

So, today, after many more drop outs after trying various work arounds on the new router, I decided to plug my old router in. Mainly to see if the drop outs are related to the router, or to my line...

Interestingly, I just tried to access webmail, and even on the old router, one that used to be able to access it, I can't access webmail while using my Exetel internet. I can access it fine via 3G internet, but the moment any device is connected to my home internet (either direct to the router (i.e. the desktop) or via wireless (i.e. my iphone or either of three laptops), the site just times out and says it doesn't exist. This occurs on Chrome, Firefox and IE. I can still download emails via my email clients (Outlook Express and whatever the iPhone uses) while connected to my internet. But not webmail. In fact, IE directs me to the Bing search page...

So, giving up on webmail now... unfortunately, while I'm somewhat tech savvy, half of what has been said went over my head. Networking stuff like this isn't a strong point.

I just find it bizarre that, having used two different routers, a desktop running XP connected via ethernet cables, an iphone using safari, laptops running either XP or Windows 7, and multiple browsers all cannot connect to the webmail site through an Exetel connection. Haha.
I have asked a technical support supervisor to look in this.

User avatar
udara
Exetel Staff
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by udara » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Bowersub wrote:Wee... so, I win an award for longest follow up to an issue, yes?

So, today, after many more drop outs after trying various work arounds on the new router, I decided to plug my old router in. Mainly to see if the drop outs are related to the router, or to my line...

Interestingly, I just tried to access webmail, and even on the old router, one that used to be able to access it, I can't access webmail while using my Exetel internet. I can access it fine via 3G internet, but the moment any device is connected to my home internet (either direct to the router (i.e. the desktop) or via wireless (i.e. my iphone or either of three laptops), the site just times out and says it doesn't exist. This occurs on Chrome, Firefox and IE. I can still download emails via my email clients (Outlook Express and whatever the iPhone uses) while connected to my internet. But not webmail. In fact, IE directs me to the Bing search page...

So, giving up on webmail now... unfortunately, while I'm somewhat tech savvy, half of what has been said went over my head. Networking stuff like this isn't a strong point.

I just find it bizarre that, having used two different routers, a desktop running XP connected via ethernet cables, an iphone using safari, laptops running either XP or Windows 7, and multiple browsers all cannot connect to the webmail site through an Exetel connection. Haha.


Would you be able to post a trace route to webmail.exetel.com.au , while you are connected to the router from which you cannot access webmail ? :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

Bowersub
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Bowersub » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:57 am

Interestingly, on my old router, I just had a drop out again. Same thing every time. My internet connection light stays on on my router, but I lose access to the net... happens on every computer/my iphone, whether connected via ethernet or wireless. Thought it was the new router... seems it may not be.



As for the traceroute...

Considering I can't access it from either router (new or old), I'm posting the one while using my older router:



Tracing route to webmail.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.20]

over a maximum of 30 hops:



1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms http://www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.1]

2 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms 199.1.233.220.static.exetel.com.au [220.233.1.199]

3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 230.255.233.220.static.exetel.com.au [220.233.255.230]

4 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 182.31.96.58.static.exetel.com.au [58.96.31.182]

5 acorn-web.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.20] reports: Destination protocol unreachable.



Trace complete.

User avatar
shoner
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by shoner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:08 am

Bowersub wrote:Interestingly, on my old router, I just had a drop out again. Same thing every time. My internet connection light stays on on my router, but I lose access to the net... happens on every computer/my iphone, whether connected via ethernet or wireless. Thought it was the new router... seems it may not be.



As for the traceroute...

Considering I can't access it from either router (new or old), I'm posting the one while using my older router:



Tracing route to webmail.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.20]

over a maximum of 30 hops:



1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms http://www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.1]

2 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms 199.1.233.220.static.exetel.com.au [220.233.1.199]

3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 230.255.233.220.static.exetel.com.au [220.233.255.230]

4 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 182.31.96.58.static.exetel.com.au [58.96.31.182]

5 acorn-web.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.20] reports: Destination protocol unreachable.



Trace complete.
Will get our engineers to investigate and will post here.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Bowersub
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Bowersub » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Cheers.

Bowersub
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by Bowersub » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm starting to think that there's a relation between my drop outs and this webmail issue.

I'm still on my old router (that never had an issue when it was used). When I upgraded to the new router, I started getting drop outs, and I assumed it was the new router. Had it replaced once, but was still doing it. I reverted back to my old router last Friday, and have had 3 drop outs since --- something that never happened. I just lose connection for a two or three minutes while everything resets. The connection light doesn't go out on my router until a good minute or so after I stop having the ability to use the internet.

Google Chrome just came up with this (and has come up with this or other similar things) when I just lost connection again:
The server at mail.google.com can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the web service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Could these two issues be connected? Or am I imagining things?

User avatar
shoner
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by shoner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Bowersub wrote:I'm starting to think that there's a relation between my drop outs and this webmail issue.

I'm still on my old router (that never had an issue when it was used). When I upgraded to the new router, I started getting drop outs, and I assumed it was the new router. Had it replaced once, but was still doing it. I reverted back to my old router last Friday, and have had 3 drop outs since --- something that never happened. I just lose connection for a two or three minutes while everything resets. The connection light doesn't go out on my router until a good minute or so after I stop having the ability to use the internet.

Google Chrome just came up with this (and has come up with this or other similar things) when I just lost connection again:
The server at mail.google.com can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the web service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Could these two issues be connected? Or am I imagining things?
If your service is dropping out, it is most likely to effect your web browsing. It is best that you log a service issue to get your dropout issues resolved. The engineers who investigate on the browsing issue confirmed to me a few minutes ago that while testing they were unable to identify and any browsing issues with your service.

hence please log a service issue to resolve the dropout
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

offroad
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Alexandria, NSW

Re: Webmail Issue?

Post by offroad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Exemail webmail has been running so slow this last week, it is reminding me of the good old 'dial-up' days ? On a few occasions it even resembles the sad old Bigpond bloated webmail interface....

Anyone else experienced the same delay ?

Post Reply