exetel notification emails get truncated

Email setup and troubleshooting
casio7131

exetel notification emails get truncated

Post by casio7131 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 am

i've noticed that some of the exetel notification emails that get sent to me seem to get truncated at 1000 characters (of html text in the message body). i don't know if this is a sending problem on exetel's side or a problem with my (university based) email system. i'm reporting this in case it is indeed a problem with the sending.

as an example, this message was truncated:

Code: Select all

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 22:48:27 +1000
From: Exetel Voice Service Notification <donotreply@exetel.com.au>
Subject: Exetel weekly notification
Message-id: <E1Qswah-0003mx-Vp@bullnut.snet>
Sun-Java-System-SMTP-Warning: Lines longer than SMTP allows found and truncated.
note the warning on the final line - it seems to suggest a problem (but i really don't know enough about email to be sure on which side the problem actually lies, or if there actually is a problem anywhere).

i can also provide the entire email if more info is needed.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: exetel notification emails get truncated

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:11 am

The SMTP standard has maximum character lengths for user names, single text lines and so on. The author's conversion of the draft message into HTML might have been ok for rendering a document, but it broke the mail rules. Some hard new lines were needed. See for example, the ancient RFC 821 and newer RFC 5321 standards.

If you select plain text emails, you will avoid this problem, although recently some Exetel messages have tried to introduce tabulated data (prices etc) and have committed different errors.

casio7131

Post by casio7131 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:22 pm

thanks dazzled. so it looks like it's more a possible problem on exetel's side, rather than mine.

ps. 5 mins of searching gave me this: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-2.1.1

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Indeed. Mail scripts have to watch out for this stuff. Unfortunately MS have made HTML mail so common that the rules can get overlooked.