Windows Live Mail

Email setup and troubleshooting
Nadali7

Windows Live Mail

Post by Nadali7 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Why can't I retain mail on the server? I am using W7 Live Mail and have gone to Properties>Advanced>Delivery and checked the boxes to retain mail on the server for 5 days. I have done this for 2 accounts as user and one as administrator and rebooted the computer from cold just for good measure. But when I send test emails from one account to itself or another the email disappears off Webmail after about 5 minutes. According to the bar graph in the top LH corner in Webmail my server folders are <1% full. What's going wrong?

The reason for keepinhg mail on the server is that people are sending emails which don't reach me, either on my home computer or on Webmail. In the case of my wife who is also using an Exemail account I know that she has sent an email because it is in her Webmail Sent box. She uses Outlook Express with XP and retains her email on the server. But I sometimes don't get mail from other reliable people whose ISPs are not Exetel. Intermittent & unreliable email is intolerable.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: Windows Live Mail

Post by ShaminG » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Why can't I retain mail on the server? I am using W7 Live Mail and have gone to Properties>Advanced>Delivery and checked the boxes to retain mail on the server for 5 days. I have done this for 2 accounts as user and one as administrator and rebooted the computer from cold just for good measure. But when I send test emails from one account to itself or another the email disappears off Webmail after about 5 minutes. According to the bar graph in the top LH corner in Webmail my server folders are <1% full. What's going wrong?

The reason for keepinhg mail on the server is that people are sending emails which don't reach me, either on my home computer or on Webmail. In the case of my wife who is also using an Exemail account I know that she has sent an email because it is in her Webmail Sent box. She uses Outlook Express with XP and retains her email on the server. But I sometimes don't get mail from other reliable people whose ISPs are not Exetel. Intermittent & unreliable email is intolerable.
After changing the mail settings, have you completed email setup wizard ?

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks Shamin for getting back so promptly. But as you can see in my webmail Inbox your test email has disappeared. Not sure when, but it hasn't been retained.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Odd if it's gone for webmail. If you want to send a message, and then test the mail actually held by the server using telnet, I posted the method at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38183. Use the appropriate state (nsw) in the server address. This will at least tell if your account is behaving correctly.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

tried to use telnet at the dos prompt and got a "'telnet' not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Just did another test. The email stayed on the server approximately 30 minutes after it was downloaded.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks Dazzled for the link. Got telnet to work OK. At first I got a '0 messages' so checked my Webmail and found the Inbox was empty. So sent myself another test email and confirmed that it had reached the webmail Inbox. Did another list on telnet and '0 messages'. Waited 5 minutes and listed again. This time 1 message. So I guess from telnet's point of view the email account is OK.

Retested the duration that emails remain in the webmail inbox and again seems to be about 30 minutes.

Other observations:- this morning I opened up webmail and sent a test email to my primary email address and CCed it to another secondary exemail account. It arrived at the secondary account but no trace of it on my home computer. Repeated this half an hour ago and this time arrived in both accounts at home. So some inconsistency here.

BTW my wife is also having trouble with her exemail account. She has her university email automatically directed to her exemail account at home. This has always worked in the past. Yesterday only some of that email was delivered to her computer. She checked her uni. email and the non sent email is still on the uni server. I'm suspecting that it was sent but has got lost in the exemail system somewhere.

Also this morning whilst I had webmail open I noticed 2 external emails arrived in my inbox on my computer (it beeps). But no trace of either in the webmail inbox only seconds after delivery to computer at home????

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 am

Does your client quietly check and actually download emails every 30 minutes or so, and maybe discard them? Try killing the client while you use the telnet method.

To actually read emails via telnet, proceed as before up to LIST, and note the number for the message you are interested in [edit: the first number listed]. To view it, type RETR <number>, eg, RETR 2. Messages will not be deleted from the server unless you issue the command DELE <number>. Quit logs out as before.

This is what mail clients are doing underneath the pretty GUI. If telnet is the only thing that looks at the server on your behalf, we should pin down where the trouble is.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Yes WLM downloads automatically every 20 to mins. I can't tell whether it is deleting emails at the same time. There is nothing in the Deleted or Junk folders. This was one of the reasons for trying to keep stuff on the server for a while just to see whether something was going missing between server and home computer.

I sent another test email immediately after downloading and checked that it was in the webmail inbox. I then got onto telnet as per instructions and was able to download the email that I had just sent complete with header. There was only 1.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:15 pm

I am guessing that after reading that message with telnet, it stayed there for a later read - it should have. It's now looking like a WLM problem, rather a fault with your server account. Until you can find out why it is deleting mail it auto retrieves (perhaps they are being marked as Read), you can set WLM to leave the mail on the server, and use webmail to clear the server storage from time to time. There are other mail clients to use instead, if you can't pin it down.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Just tried something else:-Sent myself a test email. It appeared in my Sent box on the home computer. And then immediately logged off the internet by pulling the ethernet cable out of the computer. I then waited for more than 2 hours and got my wife to check my webmail Inbox from a remote computer. The inbox was empty. I reconnected to the internet and did a Send/Receive and nothing came down. This suggests to me that it is the server causing the problem>>email that is left in the inbox for more than half an hour is deleted. But why and why after approx 30 minutes and why only ythis account?? Virus??

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:05 pm

BTW I had already set WLM to leave messages on the server for 5 days.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:07 pm

PS Yes after telnet the email was still on the server.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Weird isn't it? I wouldn't worry about a server virus - it is a well protected Linux box. If the server was any way compromised we'd be hearing lots of complaints.

You could try testing the server's email sending with telnet:
telnet smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au 25
(it will reply with code 220 and a dragon message)
HELO smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au
(it should reply with code 250 and your Exetel IP address)
MAIL FROM: your-email-address
(250, we hope)
RCPT TO: target-email-address
(250 accepted, we hope)
DATA
(354, and instructions)
type the test message
type . (a line with only a full stop, return)
(250 ok, and the ID)
quit
(221 status)

Telnet is low level and not affected by the behaviour of WLM or any other client. Use telnet to retrieve as before, including after 20 minutes. We can't blame the server if it behaves for telnet with your client disabled/off line. If you run other mail clients as well turn them all off to be sure. If your wife has a client checking your account (not webmail) disable it also.