ironport blocks all messages to me

Email setup and troubleshooting
arachnologist

ironport blocks all messages to me

Post by arachnologist » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:48 pm

I have an externally hosted domain name with several email addresses (firstname@mylastname.com.au), that are forwarded to my exemail accounts. It has been like that for over 5 years. Starting from yesterday all emails sent to firstname@mylastname.com.au simply vanish. I tried to send several emails to myself via my gmail account and received the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail1307.opentransfer.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
<myname@exemail.com.au>:
Connected to 220.233.2.146 but greeting failed.
Remote host said: 554-mscip02.mailsentry.net.au
554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so I believe emails sent via the forwarding are being blocked by your ironport (as mscip02.mailsentry.net.au is ironport). I called the domain hoster and they confirmed that they must be blacklisted by your mail filtering system. They have no idea why. The mail server through which my emails are sent is mail1307.opentransfer.com (IP 76.162.254.100)
I have been trying to speak to Technical support, but for some reason get disconnected every time I try to explain the problem. Meanwhile have not received a single email. Any help will be appreciated.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: ironport blocks all messages to me

Post by stevecJ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:45 am

arachnologist wrote:I have an externally hosted domain name with several email addresses (firstname@mylastname.com.au), that are forwarded to my exemail accounts. It has been like that for over 5 years. Starting from yesterday all emails sent to firstname@mylastname.com.au simply vanish. I tried to send several emails to myself via my gmail account and received the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<myname@exemail.com.au>:
554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so I believe emails sent via the forwarding are being blocked by your ironport (as mscip02.mailsentry.net.au is ironport). I called the domain hoster and they confirmed that they must be blacklisted by your mail filtering system. They have no idea why. The mail server through which my emails are sent is mail1307.opentransfer.com (IP 76.162.254.100)
I have been trying to speak to Technical support, but for some reason get disconnected every time I try to explain the problem. Meanwhile have not received a single email. Any help will be appreciated.
Hi,

This has been already investigated by our engineers and you will receive a response soon.

Your ticket ID is #4849510.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:29 pm

stevecJ wrote: This has been already investigated by our engineers and you will receive a response soon.
Can't see that ticket - though all my previous tickets for over 6 years are there. Probably Praneeth opened it under wrong account number...

shoner
Forum Admin

Post by shoner » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:57 pm

arachnologist wrote:
stevecJ wrote: This has been already investigated by our engineers and you will receive a response soon.
Can't see that ticket - though all my previous tickets for over 6 years are there. Probably Praneeth opened it under wrong account number...
The ticket # given to you is a internal ticket, hence will not show on member facility.
arachnologist wrote: From: MAILER-DAEMON@mail1307.opentransfer.com

<myname@exemail.com.au>:
The above does not look like an email from gmail. The reason for it to be rejected was because: sending MTA's poor reputation.

Normally the reputation of the sender's MTA should increase over time if spam has stopped.

You could use http://www.senderbase.org/ to lookup your IP status.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:54 pm

shoner wrote:The ticket # given to you is a internal ticket, hence will not show on member facility.
I'm sorry, am I supposed to know that there are internal tickets? I knew that a normal support guy wouldn't be able to fix my problem, so I asked him to open a ticket and to send me the number so that I can watch the progress. I never received any emails from you and couldn't watch the status online
shoner wrote:The above does not look like an email from gmail.
It is a failure notice that I received when I was trying to send an email to myself - i.e. to myname@mydomain.com.au, which is forwarded to myname@exemail.com.au by my webhoster's mail server - mail1307.opentransfer.com (IP address 76.162.254.100). When I tried to send emais via other exetel accounts my emails simply vanished.
shoner wrote: The reason for it to be rejected was because: sending MTA's poor reputation.
Thank you Captain Obvious! My webhoster (ixwebhosting.com, located in Columbus, Ohio) is one of the biggest in the world - hundreds of thousands users, so I understood there might have been some spammers among them, so I checked with them - they claimed that nobody has ever blacklisted that particular mailserver mail1307.opentransfer.com - one of thousands
shoner wrote:Normally the reputation of the sender's MTA should increase over time if spam has stopped.
You think I didn't do that?
WEB & EMAIL REPUTATION
Results for: 76.162.254.100 (more Details)
Email Reputation
Email Reputation Score: Neutral.
Web Reputation
Web Reputation Score: Neutral
Why is the reputation Neutral?
Your IP address or domain is within acceptable parameters.
I don't even blame you for incompetence. I blame you for luck of communications - if anyone from Exetel contacted me telling me that fixing that problem is beyond their means or takes too much of your precious time I would have acted quicker. When I realised that all I am going to receive a pathetic runaround, I immediately pointed my MX record to my Google Apps account. The setup took 20 minutes and the propagation - another 4 hours. Hopefully Google email servers are less likely to be blacklisted.
Thanks for nothing.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 pm

While I see that Shone's reply explains all of your queries, I'd like you to contact me directly on the following numbers or alternatively, email me on my direct email address if you need to clarify things further.

Regards,
Theje Gunatilake - Manager Support
Direct - 0280302024
Email - thejeg@exetel.com.au

SysAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by SysAdmin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 am

arachnologist wrote:
You think I didn't do that?
WEB & EMAIL REPUTATION
Results for: 76.162.254.100 (more Details)
Email Reputation
Email Reputation Score: Neutral.
Web Reputation
Web Reputation Score: Neutral
Why is the reputation Neutral?
Your IP address or domain is within acceptable parameters.
It would appear that that website is not as useful as we think it is (possibly).
I'll checkwith our supplier of AVS to see what may have happened here. That
said, http://www.robtex.com/ip/76.162.254.100.html#blacklists is providing
a potentially useful result.

Andrew

SysAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by SysAdmin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 am

SysAdmin wrote:It would appear that that website is not as useful as we think it is (possibly). I'll checkwith our supplier of AVS to see what may have happened here.
It isn't as useful as we thought it would be. The stats on http://www.senderbase.org are
delayed. :(

Andrew

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:20 pm

SysAdmin wrote:It isn't as useful as we thought it would be. The stats on http://www.senderbase.org are
delayed. :(
Thank you Andrew. It so happened, that exactly on that day three very important emails to me vanished and people who sent them were skeptical when I explained why, as they never received any delivery failure notification. Apparently only sending a test email from gmail account revealed the problem.

What I was expecting from Exetel support staff was opening a ticket and promptly sending me something like: "We investigated the issue, your emails are blocked by Ironport. Editing filtering rules and investigating the matter further might take a long time as it is not our engineers who control it. We at Exetel are not in a position to contact your American hoster with details, as it is not something that is done for residential customers. Tough luck, so we would recommend you change the mail server unless you are prepared to wait. Ticket closed. Please reopen the ticket if you need additional clarification."

Had it been that way I would have never had any complaints. Anyway, I switched to Google Apps for my emails, so hopefully those blacklist composers will think twice before blocking gmail smtp servers.
Thank you for looking into the matter for me.