Windows Live Mail

Email setup and troubleshooting
fishopete

Windows Live Mail

Post by fishopete » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:34 pm

I've updated to Windows live mail. Have set up my email accounts, but would like to have a password on one of the email accounts
so it is private. Can't find out anywhere on how to do this. It was good with outlook express - because all you did was switch identities and
enter a private password.
Anyone know if I can do this with windows mail.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Windows Live Mail

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm not sure you can, but two alternatives come to mind:
Use a separate user login account just for the using private email address; or
Use webmail, with the private mail account having a separate server password only you know.

ruzkyz
Exetel Staff

Post by ruzkyz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:49 pm

fishopete wrote:I've updated to Windows live mail. Have set up my email accounts, but would like to have a password on one of the email accounts
so it is private. Can't find out anywhere on how to do this. It was good with outlook express - because all you did was switch identities and
enter a private password.
Anyone know if I can do this with windows mail.
Hi,
It seems that there is no option available in Windows Live Mail. identities or managing multiple identities in Windows Live within one running instance.
Thanks

sable

Post by sable » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Sorry to be so negative but Windows Live Mail Sucks

I would try Mozilla Thunderbird.Also free.

fishopete

Post by fishopete » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Can't see in Mozilla where you have a secure password to stop others accessing your email.
Anyone know of a mail program that you can manage identities with a secure password.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Webmail, or separate user logins, are the easiest ways.

Another would be to write a filter (as for spam) to divert all mail for that recipient to a specific folder or location. For some systems it might even be to somewhere outside the email client environment.

Another would be to use (or move) a special profile for the recipient account. Some clients can handle this. If the profile and its mail are stored in an encrypted area of the disc, you will need to enable that area before the profile can work, and you can lock up after downloading. http://www.ghacks.net/2010/06/28/how-to ... underbird/

Just how private is this stuff? For maximum concealment you could use the prompt/terminal window to download the mail the very old-fashioned way as text only into the window before destroying it. It's actually easy -see eg http://yuki-onna.co.uk/email/pop.html

It doesn't have to be completely primitive with telnet; you could simply run a text-only mail client, either in the terminal/prompt window or automatically from the task scheduler, with no menu entry for it anywhere on the desktop. Eg I found this one for Windows http://www.codeode.com/popclient.html (the instructions are in the zip)