Why does Exetel allow this

Email setup and troubleshooting
akennedy

Why does Exetel allow this

Post by akennedy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:07 am

Hello

I have been getting bombarded with email at an ever increasing rate of late & im fed up with having to delete it. Its got to the point where its about 100+ in a 24 hour period.

What i find hard to accept is that yes while i could pay an additional fee & have a spam filter on my email through exetel or maybe i can just let in come into my network & let my own spam filters discard it but thats not fixing the problem. It would appear that after looking at the headers of anyone i choose from the bunch i see the following

Received: from 186-218-204-94.viacaboip.com.br (HELO DIXONSPC30) ([186.218.204.94])
by mscip01.mailsentry.net.au with ESMTP; 15 Jun 2012 04:17:59 +1000

I for the life of me dont know why exetels mail servers accept incoming mail from a non domain (fully qualified) name like this. This lookup shows DNS records for a connection to ADSL or something similar.

If they simply put in a rule where only mail servers that arent part of a black list & also qualifies as a proper domain name it would stop 90% + of this crap i get

Regards

Andrew

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: Why does Exetel allow this

Post by stevecJ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

akennedy wrote:Hello

I have been getting bombarded with email at an ever increasing rate of late & im fed up with having to delete it. Its got to the point where its about 100+ in a 24 hour period.

What i find hard to accept is that yes while i could pay an additional fee & have a spam filter on my email through exetel or maybe i can just let in come into my network & let my own spam filters discard it but thats not fixing the problem. It would appear that after looking at the headers of anyone i choose from the bunch i see the following

Received: from 186-218-204-94.viacaboip.com.br (HELO DIXONSPC30) ([186.218.204.94])

I for the life of me dont know why exetels mail servers accept incoming mail from a non domain (fully qualified) name like this. This lookup shows DNS records for a connection to ADSL or something similar.

If they simply put in a rule where only mail servers that arent part of a black list & also qualifies as a proper domain name it would stop 90% + of this crap i get

Regards

Andrew
Hi,

We cannot guarantee that spam emails will be 100% filtered by the spam filters. However you may forward the spam emails to 'spam@exetel.com.au' in order to train the exetel spam filters.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 pm

akennedy wrote:Hello

Regards

Andrew
Not all mail servers are configured correctly, so who is Exetel to stop that getting through?

akennedy

Post by akennedy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:20 pm

A mail server can be configured, rules wise to do a number of different things before accepting mail from an outside source. It can accept &/or refuse mail based on whether mail is coming from a proper domain name eg mail.eziekiel.com (which is mine when i choose to use it). Exetel had to create a PXT record in their DNS (which i pay for annually) to see my static IP (220.233.47.78) as this for that exact reason.

If i were to send mail through my server & it was seen as the typical NS type default name Exetel provides. (lookup yours to see) many many properly configured mail servers would simply not accept any mail coming from it.

You can than add another layer of protection telling your server to check known blacklisted IPs (because they are misconfigured & accept mail for relaying). If yours is one of them again mail will not be accepted.