SMTP - Relay not permitted.

Email setup and troubleshooting
VKPORTABLE

SMTP - Relay not permitted.

Post by VKPORTABLE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi all;

I am not sure what the deal is here, but when trying to setup email in Thunderbird (with manual setup and auto) I encountered a problem with being unable to send email, getting the message 'Relay not permitted'. Yet I am logging in using my exetel hspa service, whats to relay?

I've tried various combinations of smtp/pop settings - none to any avail.
Whilst on this - for a non-experienced user Exetel's own help files could be rather confusing. There is no consistency with them. I've seen three so far that all describe different server settings, if Exetel doesn't know what the correct settings are then how could a user?

So far I've tried the following SMTP servers:

smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au (Unable to connect, not found)
smtp.vic.exemail.com.au (Didn't connect)
smtp.exemail.com.au (Connected, no relay message received)
mail.optusnet.com.au - as indicated in one help page (Unknown user)

So what are the right settings and how do I get this to work correctly. I really need this working as I am coordinating a major event for 2013 and due to distance/time issues email is for now the preferred means of communications.

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

For further info just in case anyone asks:
- Internet, working fine no problems.
- Exetel webmail, works fine can send and receive with it no problems - just not via a client.

Regards;
Stew.

udara
Exetel Staff

Re: SMTP - Relay not permitted.

Post by udara » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:24 pm

VKPORTABLE wrote:Hi all;

I am not sure what the deal is here, but when trying to setup email in Thunderbird (with manual setup and auto) I encountered a problem with being unable to send email, getting the message 'Relay not permitted'. Yet I am logging in using my exetel hspa service, whats to relay?

I've tried various combinations of smtp/pop settings - none to any avail.
Whilst on this - for a non-experienced user Exetel's own help files could be rather confusing. There is no consistency with them. I've seen three so far that all describe different server settings, if Exetel doesn't know what the correct settings are then how could a user?

So far I've tried the following SMTP servers:

smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au (Unable to connect, not found)
smtp.vic.exemail.com.au (Didn't connect)
smtp.exemail.com.au (Connected, no relay message received)
mail.optusnet.com.au - as indicated in one help page (Unknown user)

So what are the right settings and how do I get this to work correctly. I really need this working as I am coordinating a major event for 2013 and due to distance/time issues email is for now the preferred means of communications.

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

For further info just in case anyone asks:
- Internet, working fine no problems.
- Exetel webmail, works fine can send and receive with it no problems - just not via a client.

Regards;
Stew.
Hi

The outgoing mail server that you should use is "mail.optusnet.com.au" however make sure that you have selected "no authentication" for the authentication method under the outgoing mail server settings.

Let me know how it goes :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

VKPORTABLE

Post by VKPORTABLE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:28 pm

udara wrote: Hi

The outgoing mail server that you should use is "mail.optusnet.com.au" however make sure that you have selected "no authentication" for the authentication method under the outgoing mail server settings.

Let me know how it goes :)
Will do thanks, haven't got time right now work beckons - just terrific huh freezing cold night and I have to work in it :))
Give it a go later when I get home and see what gives. Whilst I'm out pretending to be a polar bear is there any tips or tricks related to getting email running under Thunderbird, I would prefer to use that over Windows mail since W7 doesn't come with a client these days.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm

I said a while ago that Thunderbird auto config has fleas. That was being kind. Anyway, see https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en ... figuration for the method. Use POP to receive, port 110; and the SMTP sending server on port 25 at the security setting has no authentication. Don't select TLS or encrypted transmissions.

The mail servers to use depend on your service type. smtp.vic.exemail.com.au won't accept a connection from a non-Exetel IP address.

VKPORTABLE

Post by VKPORTABLE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Dazzled wrote:I said a while ago that Thunderbird auto config has fleas. That was being kind. Anyway, see https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en ... figuration for the method. Use POP to receive, port 110; and the SMTP sending server on port 25 at the security setting has no authentication. Don't select TLS or encrypted transmissions.

The mail servers to use depend on your service type. smtp.vic.exemail.com.au won't accept a connection from a non-Exetel IP address.
smtp.vic.exemail.com.au won't accept connections from an exetel connection in my case. Couldn't connect as I stated previously. Thunderbird may have issues but what else is there to use? I don't like Opera as its part of a web browser that I don't want, Windows Live mail... umm ok. There isn't a hell of a lot of competition out there in the free email client arena.

VKPORTABLE

Post by VKPORTABLE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:05 pm

I tried the smtp.vic setting again just for the hell of it - after a long period it connected only to tell me ...guess what :) Good ol relay not permitted.
After changing some more settings in Chunderbird I've got the mail.optusnet smtp sending mail no problems, thanks guys for your help.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 pm

VKPORTABLE wrote:I tried the smtp.vic setting again just for the hell of it - after a long period it connected only to tell me ...guess what :) Good ol relay not permitted.
After changing some more settings in Chunderbird I've got the mail.optusnet smtp sending mail no problems, thanks guys for your help.
Good to hear that its working now . :D

smtp.vic.exemail.com.au will not work if you are not assigned an exetel IP address. As you are using a HSPA service , the plan that you are on will determine if you will be assigned an Exetel IP or a IP address from Optus.
In your case i assume that it is the latter as "mail.optusnet.com.au" worked and "smtp.vic.exemail.com.au" didnt :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks Udara - I suspected wireless rather than ADSL.

Back to clients --- I'm rather fond of Opera mail, because I use the Opera browser - it is massively configurable, and happy to run a swag of my scripts attached to buttons and right click menus. I have a Linux machine that uses Opera as its desktop (well the WM is still there, but I never see it).

An efficient free browser you could look at is Claws http://www.claws-mail.org/index.php, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claws_Mail. This is a versatile client originally written for Linux with many fans. There is a Windows port, although not all the plug-ins have been ported, but it may suit your needs.

PS I should have mentioned - Claws for Windows is part of an encryption package, if that appeals.

bradder555

Post by bradder555 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi There

I have a solution to this problem, use GMail's smtp server.

First of all configure your POP3 account for exetel on gmail.

Enable less secure apps in gmail:
https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

Then go into your gmail settings (cog top right, then settings)

Click on the Accounts and Import tab

Then in the "Send Mail As", select "edit info" for your exetel account.

Click "Next" until you get the page labeled as "Send mail through your SMTP server"

for your SMTP server, use "smtp.gmail.com"
for your usename use your gmail email account (i.e. username@gmail.com)
for your password use the password associated with the username above.

For the port use 587 and tick the "Secured connection using TLS (recommended)"

Save changes

You'll find that it probably doesn't work the first time, this is because google will see its server's IP address, one that has not previous been associated with you. You'll probably notice that your android phone has come up with the warning "Someone has your password.. review activity?" (or your gmail inbox), review the activity and say that it was you. Then try to save the changes again. It should go through.

At this point you should do a test e-mail to make sure that it has gone through.

I hope this helps

Valglin

Post by Valglin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks for this thread.
mail.optusnet.com.au worked for me, too.