Bounced Emails That I Havn't Sent

Email setup and troubleshooting
solorflare

Bounced Emails That I Havn't Sent

Post by solorflare » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 am

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone else is having the same issue as I am at the moment and if there are any suggestions.
I have email hosting for my domain through exetel and for the last few days I have been recieving bounced emails to my "catch all" account.
These emails I know for sure havnt been sent by me and when I look at the account that supposed to have sent the emails it says a random name that is followed by my domain name. every email has a different name @ my domain.
I have changed my passwords to all my domain and exemail accounts and I am still getting supposively bounced emails from my domain, even went to the extent of changing my ip address.

I have scanned my computer for a virus and spyware and my software hasn't picked any trace of one up.

The subject lines all say "returned mail", "Delivery status notifycation(failure).", or "undeliverable"
Some of the emails have attachments which i do not click.
Most of the bodies say,
"This is an automatically generated delivery status notifycation. Delivery to the following recipients failed."

Some also have a breakdown of the message that was supposed to be sent from my domain which upon looking at I noticed the from ip address which is next to the nonexistant email address from my domain isn't my ip or exetels. This sent from ip address is different every time.
Sometimes they also have a return sender section that is not even pointing to my domain.

I am wondering what I should do next, and if anyone has suggestions.
Thank you.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Bounced Emails That I Havn't Sent

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 am

Good at spelling, aren't they? The faked bounce message is a form of spam. They can have a link or attachment with something nasty waiting. See for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_delivery_report. The target is your email domain, not the IP address.

If you trace the source you'll likely find some zombified home computer.

PS You didn't supply an example, but the real sender may be hoping you'll pass on his message. The catch-all has foiled that.