dotted blue lines in emails

Email setup and troubleshooting
Ronjaq

dotted blue lines in emails

Post by Ronjaq » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:52 am

I am using Windows Live Mail and often receive emails with dotted blue lines. Does anybody know how to remove them in Windows Live mail. It was pretty easy in Outlook Express but I cannot fine any way of removing them in this system. Thanking you in anticipation
Ronjaq

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: dotted blue lines in emails

Post by Dazzled » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:07 am

Do you mean the quoted text indicator on the margin? If so, http://www.talesofinterest.net/how-to-r ... live-mail/

Ronjaq

Post by Ronjaq » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:40 pm

Dazzled wrote:Do you mean the quoted text indicator on the margin? If so, http://www.talesofinterest.net/how-to-r ... live-mail/
hi Dazzled
I can remove the continuoous blue lines its the darn dotted blue lines that I am unable to get rid of
ronjaq

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Can you post a screenshot to help us determine what dotted blue lines you are talking about? (If you don't know how to upload a screenshot: Alt+Print Screen to capture the active window on the screen to the clipboard, then open Paint, Paste, Save As, then change "save as type" to PNG to make the file size smaller. Then use the "upload attachment" tab when you post a reply).
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Ronjaq

Post by Ronjaq » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:09 pm

here is an example of a email with a dotted blue line on the left hand side of the message
Attachments
ScreenShot014 (Small).jpg
ScreenShot014 (Small).jpg (79.37 KiB) Viewed 3784 times

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Those are quote indicators just like the solid blue lines are. Different email clients apply different styles to the body of the email message when it is forwarded along the chain. Once a message has been forwarded several times, these quote styles accumulate and you start getting some pretty ugly appearances.

You should be able to remove the formatting just like for the solid blue lines (though I suspect that this particular style might be a surrounding table or div tag, so I'm not surprised if this technique does not work). You can also try copying the text starting just to the left of the first character of the body of the text, and ending just to the right of the final character, but make sure to try and avoid any lines above the inside-most vertical line, and also avoid the trailing paragraph marker that causes highlighted text to extend off to the right side of the page (it is a hidden character that appears immediately at the end of the last word in the quoted portion of text).

Once you've copied the text, delete the entire body of text and paste what you copied. If you are lucky this might remove the paragraph style, and any surrounding HTML formatted tables, that cause these dotted line to appear and leave you with just the formatted text itself.

If need be, try copying from the second character to the second-last character to see if you get a different result when pasting. If you do, it means you are highlighting the final hidden trailing character when copying, thus causing the dotted line(s) to be copied too.

Otherwise, I will PM you my email address and you can forward a test message to to me as is and I can examine it to see if there is an easy way to remove these dotted line formats.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Ronjaq

Post by Ronjaq » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 pm

I tried your suggestions and each time I saved the text the dotted blue line is still there. Will you need my email address or will you give me yours here in the forum so that I can send you the message in question
regards
Ronjaq

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 pm

My understanding is that Live Mail can execute a user script. I don't have it running, so cannot experiment for you, but with luck someone here can have a peep at this and zap unwanted parts of the html display that way.

It is part of the email standard to mark quoted text.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:39 pm

OK. I received the example that you sent me.

I found that after attempting to forward the message, I could copy from just before the first letter (the "A" in "Are you smarter") right to the end (the "." after "minutes"). Then, if I deleted the entire message (or at least, deleted all of the original message beneath the "---Original Message---" section) I could paste the copied bit and it would appear without any lines on the left.

Another alternative that is guaranteed to remove the lines is to copy as for before, then either delete all of the original message (or perhaps even start a new message completely), then "Paste Special" -> "Unformatted Text". Alternatively, Windows Live might not have a Paste Special, in which case you can paste into Windows Notepad, which will only paste the text itself; no formatting. Then select all the text again, copy it afresh and paste this newly copied text into a new mail message.

However, either of these alternative methods will force *all* the formatting to disappear (this also includes the fonts that were used) and may not be exactly what you want for other messages.

Ultimately, these vertical lines are quite typical of many of the ugly HTML-formatted and continually forwarded mail messages that are commonplace. They are caused by having different clients nest the original message within tables and styling each with a left border. These can be hard to remove within Windows Mail as it is not very powerful as a word processor. Hence, my above methods which attempt to copy the internal text, delete all the tables and past back just the internal text from scratch.

Ronjaq

Post by Ronjaq » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi Corey
Thank you very much for your help in trying to solve this problem. Pasting and copying are not my forte however I tried another way and after forwarding the message I hit the change button up top on the bar to change from HTML to plain text and low and behold the lines disappeared. I then saved the message to my preferred folder and it seems ok. It will be interesting to see how this works if there are photos in the text area. Time will tell I guess. Once again many thanks for your assistance
regards
Ronjaq

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Using the "plain text" option will remove all images from the message body, though it will keep images that are attachments. So, yes, this might work well for some emails, but not for others