Problem sending email on android

Email setup and troubleshooting
col320ce

Problem sending email on android

Post by col320ce » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:09 am

I can't send emails from my mobile when on wifi connection at home.

(Receiving fine. Sending fine on data connection)

Exetel ADSL at home, phone connects via wifi.
M15 Exetel monthly mobile phone plan.

Outgoing Settings:

mail.optusnet.com.au
port 25
security type "none"
require sign in NOT ticked

Thanks for any help

shoner
Forum Admin

Re: Problem sending email on android

Post by shoner » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 am

col320ce wrote:I can't send emails from my mobile when on wifi connection at home.

(Receiving fine. Sending fine on data connection)

Exetel ADSL at home, phone connects via wifi.
M15 Exetel monthly mobile phone plan.

Outgoing Settings:

mail.optusnet.com.au
port 25
security type "none"
require sign in NOT ticked

Thanks for any help
You will have to add or edit the current going setting to the Exetel SMTP address to your Android.

Outgoing Mail server: smtp.[state].exemail.com.au
Outgoing Mail Port: 25
SSL: Off
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

col320ce

Post by col320ce » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply.

If i do that it sends ok from home (exetel wifi) but not from the data connection.

Can I set it up so it sends no matter where I am (exetel wifi, data, other wifi)?

Thanks

shoner
Forum Admin

Post by shoner » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

col320ce wrote:Thanks for the reply.

If i do that it sends ok from home (exetel wifi) but not from the data connection.

Can I set it up so it sends no matter where I am (exetel wifi, data, other wifi)?

Thanks
Im not sure how to go about that. If your email client allows you to set two or more smtp setups then it should solve the problem.
You should find an email client that would allows you to add more that 1 outgoing server.
This way you can have the Optus server as the primary and the Exetel server as the Secondary.

Log a fault ticket Here
Exetel Support Portal

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Or you may want to consider registering a Gmail email address and using the built in Mail app on Android as your email client. Alternatively, if this is for a business email address, you should be able to use your email host (either your company's in-house email server, or the outsourced email provider) as an SMTP relay. There really isn't much advantage to an exemail.com.au email address (if this is what you are currently using) or similar POP3 type account.

If you want to provide some further details, I'll be happy to try to convince you of the merits of such a setup. I have one Gmail email account for personal use and a company email account for work use. Each of them supports webmail (which is by far the easiest way to access email as it keeps everything "synced") but also IMAP / Exchange if I wish to synchronise email locally. In fact, for the even more ambitious, you can registering a domain name and use Google Apps. In this manner, you can get a very professional email address which will exist for life regardless of your ISP or country, and which is all hosted just like a GMail email account (spam filtered, fast and feature rich webmail, etc)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

shoner
Forum Admin

Post by shoner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:43 am

Im my opinion what CoreyPlover has suggested seems to be the most hassle free way to go about this issue.

Log a fault ticket Here
Exetel Support Portal