Messages are being flagged as [...]

Email setup and troubleshooting
lordvader

Messages are being flagged as [...]

Post by lordvader » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:08 pm

Don't know whether it's just me, but since last Wednesday (approx 4.30pm), my incoming emails started being flagged as [MARKETING], or [SUSPECTED SPAM] (this is via Exetels pop3 service).

I haven't enabled spam filtering, so have no idea why this has suddenly started happening. Really annoying too ...

BTW, I have posted this on another forum, as well as raised a support ticket, but information is slow, and I'm curious if it's just me, just a small handful, or a system wide thing (and if so, was there an announcement I missed ?).

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Messages are being flagged as [...]

Post by James » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:19 pm

I believe all mail using our servers is now filtered.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Can you confirm that ?
When did this happen, and can we opt out ?

I don't want my incoming mail being flagged as [MARKETING] or [SUSPECTED SPAM], especially since I can't find anywhere in the webmail to say "no, this is not marketing, or suspected spam".

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Can you confirm that ?
When did this happen, and can we opt out ?

I don't want my incoming mail being flagged as [MARKETING] or [SUSPECTED SPAM], especially since I can't find anywhere in the webmail to say "no, this is not marketing, or suspected spam".
Could you PM me your service number so that we can get this checked further?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Me too - the new system even flagged my regular ABC News update email as [SUSPECTED SPAM] last week! This week it seems to have got its act together regarding the ABC at least. However, being able to opt out would be good, and a means of reporting false positives is also required (as well as false negatives) for those interested in helping to refine the service.
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:12 pm

lordvader

Received your PM.. I will get further information on how we can proceed with an opt out if your email is being filtered for SPAM.

I cannot confirm if all accounts are being filtered either so will get that checked and confirm on this thread.

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Same here. I find it annoying that Qantas Frequent Flyer mail being flagged as [Suspected Spam] using up real estate on the Subject line. While I haven't seen any mail tagged as [Marketing] while there are some I would classify as such, more so than Qantas FF mail considered as spam.

Chris.

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Post by KavindaS » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Chris T wrote:Same here. I find it annoying that Qantas Frequent Flyer mail being flagged as [Suspected Spam] using up real estate on the Subject line. While I haven't seen any mail tagged as [Marketing] while there are some I would classify as such, more so than Qantas FF mail considered as spam.

Chris.
As per the previous comment, we have escalated this with the relevant department and this thread will be updated once we get an update by them.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:30 am

Oh thank goodness!

It's happening on my sisters account as well and it coincided with me installing thunderbird for her. I though Thunderbird had caused it and couldn't find any way to remove!

Yes, please remove this Exetel or at least make it opt-in.

T.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:53 am

Any progress on this ?

Don't want to seem pushy, but it's starting to get pretty annoying, especially with [MARKETING] flags, given that I'd actively subscribed to them, and knew exactly what they were when I did so ...

I wonder how these flags interfere with client side adaptive filtering ?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:01 am

lordvader wrote:Any progress on this ?
The matter has been escalated and this thread will be updated when the decision is made.

burch

Post by burch » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Dear Exetel

It seems incredulous that Exetel is adding flags such as [SPAM..] without knowing and to which accounts and doesnt even seem to know even which Department is inolved.

It is adding the flag to my emails that is not correct and needs to be addresses PRONTO.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Spam filter has currently been activated as a free trial for limited period. After the trial period is over, if you do not subscribe to spam filtering, incoming mail will not be flagged. You also have the option of subscribing into the spam filter should you wish to continue.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:22 pm

In that case, I would like out of this "free and unannounced" trial immediately.

anurangaf
Exetel Staff

Post by anurangaf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm

lordvader wrote:In that case, I would like out of this "free and unannounced" trial immediately.
Edit : Unfortunately this is not an option during the trial period. :(