Messages are being flagged as [...]

Email setup and troubleshooting
lordvader

Re: Messages are being flagged as [...]

Post by lordvader » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Seriously ?
How will I be reimbursed then ?

This unnannounced filtering has been a real thorn in my side, and the fact that I can't go into my webmail and say "No, this is not spam", or "Don't flag this as marketing" has made this trail somewhat useless ...

racer123

Post by racer123 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:58 pm

I have the same problem with the spam filter being turned on without my knowledge or consent.
I have so far lodged a support ticket and a complaint.
Waiting for an answer as to when the trial period end?
Dave

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:49 pm

lordvader wrote:Seriously ?
How will I be reimbursed then ?

This unnannounced filtering has been a real thorn in my side, and the fact that I can't go into my webmail and say "No, this is not spam", or "Don't flag this as marketing" has made this trail somewhat useless ...
You won't be reimbursed, as there is nothing to reimburse you for.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Fair call.

What about the massive inconvenience of being used as a guinea pig ?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:08 pm

lordvader wrote:Fair call.

What about the massive inconvenience of being used as a guinea pig ?
it's just a tag, how inconvenient can it be.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:40 pm

That shouldn't be for yourself, or anyone at Exetel to determine.

Please forgive my bluntness, I'm just very displeased with how this has been playing out.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:48 pm

I see your point about opting in or out, but I have been told by one of the people I look after that it helps him. I haven't seen unfiltered spam for a long time, but when I look in the trap, some Exetel flagged stuff has landed there. It doesn't bother me either way.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:34 am

A notification to customers that this trial was taking place would have made its introduction less fraught for customers who keep a close watch on things happening to their emails (admittedly, probably not the majority).

That said, I agree with lordvader that without customers (who are interested in supporting the trial and improving the performance of the "product", whatever that may be) being able to notify false positives and false negatives, what is the utility of the trial?

And notifying an end date to the trial (as part of an announcement that it was taking place) would also have improved the customers' perception of such a trial being unilaterally imposed upon us.
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:03 pm

You tell 'em Gidget! Maybe they'll listen to you...

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Gidget wrote:A notification to customers that this trial was taking place would have made its introduction less fraught for customers who keep a close watch on things happening to their emails (admittedly, probably not the majority).

That said, I agree with lordvader that without customers (who are interested in supporting the trial and improving the performance of the "product", whatever that may be) being able to notify false positives and false negatives, what is the utility of the trial?

And notifying an end date to the trial (as part of an announcement that it was taking place) would also have improved the customers' perception of such a trial being unilaterally imposed upon us.
This is only a benefit to our customers, if they don't like it, they don't have to use our email servers.

The overwhelming majority of customers are thankful for this trial.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:58 pm

What you say about the filter being a benefit to customers may well be true in due course, James. And, of course, customers don't *have* to use your email servers.

However, I am puzzled as to how you can make this sweeping statement: "The overwhelming majority of customers are thankful for this trial.". Have you actually surveyed your customers to confirm this? I only ask because no-one on this thread appears to have been surveyed. Silence cannot be taken necessarily to mean thankfulness.

I obviously don't have a problem with Exetel trialling a spam filter to enhance your email services. All anyone on this thread has queried is why the trial was not announced to customers, and why there is (as yet, anyway) no way for customers to improve the outcomes of the trial for Exetel by being able to report both false positives and false negatives. The last time a spam filter was trialled (some years ago now), it was announced and customers enthusiastically co-operated with the trial.

As in all things in life, James, you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar :-)
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Could I just get some clarification on something ?

How many people within Exetel actually know about this trail ?
I had raised a support ticket in regards to this issue (before I started this thread), and the response then along the lines of "We cannot find any spam filter registered with your account", and the engineers are looking into it.
The most recent response was that the engineers are working on a fix for this issue, which seems to imply that there is an issue ...

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:40 am

The power of the dark side is strong in this one.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:43 am

lordvader wrote:Could I just get some clarification on something ?

How many people within Exetel actually know about this trail ?
I had raised a support ticket in regards to this issue (before I started this thread), and the response then along the lines of "We cannot find any spam filter registered with your account", and the engineers are looking into it.
The most recent response was that the engineers are working on a fix for this issue, which seems to imply that there is an issue ...
All support engineers know now.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 am

Gidget wrote:What you say about the filter being a benefit to customers may well be true in due course, James. And, of course, customers don't *have* to use your email servers.

However, I am puzzled as to how you can make this sweeping statement: "The overwhelming majority of customers are thankful for this trial.". Have you actually surveyed your customers to confirm this? I only ask because no-one on this thread appears to have been surveyed. Silence cannot be taken necessarily to mean thankfulness.

I obviously don't have a problem with Exetel trialling a spam filter to enhance your email services. All anyone on this thread has queried is why the trial was not announced to customers, and why there is (as yet, anyway) no way for customers to improve the outcomes of the trial for Exetel by being able to report both false positives and false negatives. The last time a spam filter was trialled (some years ago now), it was announced and customers enthusiastically co-operated with the trial.

As in all things in life, James, you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar :-)
Hi Gidget,

I'm not sure why it wasn't announced, it probably should have been, but it's being done to test our email filter systems, as we will hopefully be releasing some exciting new products to our current customers, of which will only benefit customers.

I"m sorry for the inconvenience of tags, but I honestly dont' see what the fuss is all about.

James