Webmail

Email setup and troubleshooting
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Webmail

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 16, 2014 10:47 am

I've just had the misfortune to need the new webmail page. No surprise - it doesn't work - at least on many machines, and it's supposed to be universal.

Could we please remove the javascript, and the odious referral to Doubleclick, and revert to Squirrelmail? It's just like the jquery website shambles all over again.

There is a lot more to computing than Windows and Apple desktops, or even Android tablets. Nobody should make local scripting essential on code such as this for use anywhere. Astonishingly the coder made allowance for an IE error.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Webmail

Post by KavindaS » Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Dazzled wrote:I've just had the misfortune to need the new webmail page. No surprise - it doesn't work - at least on many machines, and it's supposed to be universal.

Could we please remove the javascript, and the odious referral to Doubleclick, and revert to Squirrelmail? It's just like the jquery website shambles all over again.

There is a lot more to computing than Windows and Apple desktops, or even Android tablets. Nobody should make local scripting essential on code such as this for use anywhere. Astonishingly the coder made allowance for an IE error.
Sorry to hear that Dazzled :( . Thanks for that and I have informed developers about this.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks Kavinda, it needs looking at.
SquirrelMail is a standards-based webmail package written in PHP. It includes built-in pure PHP support for the IMAP and SMTP protocols, and all pages render in pure HTML 4.0 (with no JavaScript required) for maximum compatibility....
The new front end misses the mark on both standards and pure HTML principles.

thusithaK
Exetel Staff

Post by thusithaK » Fri May 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Could we please remove the JavaScript, and the odious referral to Doubleclick
The https://stats.g.doubleclick.net/dc.js is a stat counter script, which we are unable to remove as we need it there.
However we will consider using an alternative for js non-supportive browsers. (assuming you are using a browser such as Lynx)
revert to Squirrelmail?
it still works on Squirrelmail. The underlying functionality haven't changed, only the front page styles are changed.
Astonishingly the coder made allowance for an IE error.
its been tested for IE 6 and up, no errors are apparent, unless Active Scripting is disabled(which has a very small probability),
the site should be working fine.

thank you for your comments, hope you can use one of many alternative browsers to work with till we get back to you.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Thank you for your reply Thusitha.

If I may expand on my comments:

Doubleclick -

Code: Select all

ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://') + 'stats.g.doubleclick.net/dc.js';
Perhaps I should have also said that it is on nearly every block list ever published, including those on my own computers and most others as well. User scripts catch it and trash it also. Exetel would be better off computing its own statistics if accuracy is desired.

It isn't Squirrelmail anymore. The whole point of Squirrelmail is NO Javascript in order to be universally useful in standards-compliant HTML4. The backend is valueless if the front door is closed. I and others have HTML enabled devices and applications without scripting. It's a lot more than Lynx. The default Squirrelmail page could have easily been given the Exetel "look" in HTML4.

The entire web site is riddled with coding errors, that have contributed to recent chaos. It isn't much to ask that a at least this single webmail page is standards-compliant. Windows doesn't make standards - the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) does. Microsoft has caused immense harm over the years by its consistent standards breaches. The W3C provides a free and very fast web code checker, which should be used. Windows testing is getting rather pointless considering the extraordinary number of devices and systems now in use.

PS: It would be wonderful if Webmail qualified for this-
Attachments
valid-html401.png
valid-html401.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 9485 times

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Tue May 20, 2014 3:48 pm

My problem with the webmail is that I can't view any folder except the inbox!
I click on one of my created folders, and get a message that I can't view it unless I'm logged in, I go to the login link provided and login again, and I'm once again taken to the inbox!

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Tue May 20, 2014 11:59 pm

Tazz wrote:My problem with the webmail is that I can't view any folder except the inbox!
I click on one of my created folders, and get a message that I can't view it unless I'm logged in, I go to the login link provided and login again, and I'm once again taken to the inbox!
Please PM me your email address and I will check this further and if required will get the development team involved.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Wed May 21, 2014 9:53 am

Problem solved, I was using Mozilla Firefox when it happened, I also use SWare Iron and have no problem with webmail with it, so it seems to be something about webmail that Firefox can't handle.

For email I use Mozilla Thunderbird, I've only reported my Firefox experience because I think Exetel should know there seems to be an issue which needs to be looked in to.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed May 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Tazz wrote:Problem solved, I was using Mozilla Firefox when it happened, I also use SWare Iron and have no problem with webmail with it, so it seems to be something about webmail that Firefox can't handle.

For email I use Mozilla Thunderbird, I've only reported my Firefox experience because I think Exetel should know there seems to be an issue which needs to be looked in to.
Thanks for the information. I will alert our developers on this.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:57 pm

KavindaS wrote:
Tazz wrote:Problem solved, I was using Mozilla Firefox when it happened, I also use SWare Iron and have no problem with webmail with it, so it seems to be something about webmail that Firefox can't handle.

Thanks for the information. I will alert our developers on this.
Almost two months have passed, and it's still not fixed!
Firefox is my main browser and everything works ok, except Exetel Webmail.

The old Exetel web site all worked ok, there was no reason to change it at all!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Correct. Nothing's been fixed. Someone wants to "improve" on the Squirrelmail team, and has missed the point entirely.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Dazzled wrote:Correct. Nothing's been fixed. Someone wants to "improve" on the Squirrelmail team, and has missed the point entirely.
Email sent to them with a reminder. They will update the thread accordingly.

djfw

Post by djfw » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi,

I am using Firefox 32.0.3 and this is still a reproducible issue.

Can we have an update on when this will be addressed?

Cheers,
David.

Imran.Hossen
Exetel Staff

Webmail

Post by Imran.Hossen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:44 am

Hi David,

Kindly note that I will be forwarding your inquiry to my superiors who will be reporting to work this morning to check on this with our development team.

Kindly await an update from us regarding this concern.

Regards