HELP !! All emails are gone,

Email setup and troubleshooting
Viss

HELP !! All emails are gone,

Post by Viss » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I really hope you can assist, my wife has mistakenly ticked Delete messages older than 30 days in the Disk Space section in thunderbird and it has deleted all of her emails, is there any way that they can be restored from a snapshot at all ? :cry:

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: HELP !! All emails are gone,

Post by ShaminG » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Viss wrote:Hi Guys,

I really hope you can assist, my wife has mistakenly ticked Delete messages older than 30 days in the Disk Space section in thunderbird and it has deleted all of her emails, is there any way that they can be restored from a snapshot at all ? :cry:
Have you tried login into the webmail interface and check if the emails are still available in the server.
https://webmail.exetel.com.au/src/login.php
User Name : Full exemail email address
Password : Your email password

Note : I assume it's an exemail account and you have not selected the option of 'delete in the server once downloaded into client'

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:54 am

If they are not on webmail, and they probably are not, as Thunderbird is normally set to save them locally, what happens next may depend on your operating system.

First, do you backup your computer regularly? If so, the mail storage will be there, up to the backup date, and you can restore it. End of sermon.

Now it gets harder.

If you use Windows the file is not removed, but simply made available to be over-written. In this case do not use the computer as there is software that can recover "deleted" files. The more you use the computer the less chance of data surviving. The best run from a "live CD", that is they boot into memory, so that they can examine an unused drive.

See, for example, http://www.z-a-recovery.com/thunderbird ... tabase.htm and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird for Thunderbird file location.

Some live Linux CDs have an application called ntfsundelete on board. These are readily available and free. If you can find Hiren's CD, undelete is available. These make the job a lot easier.

Viss

Post by Viss » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Ok I tried a system restore but to no avail as it does not restore your personal files, and thunderbird profile is kept in the app data folder. I used a program called Shadow Browser which allowed me to go into the last system restore and extract the profile in the app data and then simply restore it to the default location. This is also useful if you delete some personal files ie: pics, docs etc which wont be restored via system restore.

Cheers Viss