Email server password weirdness

Email setup and troubleshooting

Email server password weirdness

Postby maggie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi I've been have some trouble the last week or two with our exemail emails. We all use Thunderbird. It some times fails to fetch the mail when refreshed or started because the password fails. I have the TB setting so password is always remembered. What causes this password failure with the server? How can it be made to stick or remember?

Also when I went into MyExetel today to change the password it is telling me 'password change failed!!!' How can I change the password? I am using a recycled password that worked fine in the past.
maggie

Re: Email server password weirdness

Postby angelos on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:09 pm

maggie wrote:Hi I've been have some trouble the last week or two with our exemail emails. We all use Thunderbird. It some times fails to fetch the mail when refreshed or started because the password fails. I have the TB setting so password is always remembered. What causes this password failure with the server? How can it be made to stick or remember?

Also when I went into MyExetel today to change the password it is telling me 'password change failed!!!' How can I change the password? I am using a recycled password that worked fine in the past.

We have been getting this from Thunderbird users in the recent past. Did you have some update on Thunderbird recently?

What you can do though is remove authentication from the outgoing server to get rid of this coming up all the time because the outgoing server does not require authentication when using exemail servers on an Exetel connection.
angelos
Exetel Staff

Postby maggie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:47 pm

angelos wrote:We have been getting this from Thunderbird users in the recent past. Did you have some update on Thunderbird recently?

What you can do though is remove authentication from the outgoing server to get rid of this coming up all the time because the outgoing server does not require authentication when using exemail servers on an Exetel connection.

Thanks Angelo. Oh, that's interesting. It is quite possible there has been an update.

How do I remove authentication from the outgoing server?

I do have one email address, not an Exemail one, that I send out through Exemail. It is also one of the addresses I am having trouble with. Will I still need to have outgoing authentication for this one? It is not accepting the password in any case. So how can I get the password issue fixed?
maggie

Postby angelos on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:59 pm

maggie wrote:
angelos wrote:We have been getting this from Thunderbird users in the recent past. Did you have some update on Thunderbird recently?

Thanks Angelo. Oh, that's interesting. It is quite possible there has been an update.

How do I remove authentication from the outgoing server?

I do have one email address, not an Exemail one, that I send out through Exemail. It is also one of the addresses I am having trouble with. Will I still need to have outgoing authentication for this one? It is not accepting the password in any case. So how can I get the password issue fixed?

Just Google'd it but could only find how to add it.. Try the reverse of the following : http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/mozil ... rsSMTP.cwd

If there is an option to change the password type to none, select it.
angelos
Exetel Staff

Postby maggie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks Angelo. Removing the password has done the trick. Seems a bit counterintuitive security wise but everything seems to be sending off and working now.
maggie

Postby angelos on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:37 pm

maggie wrote:Thanks Angelo. Removing the password has done the trick. Seems a bit counterintuitive security wise but everything seems to be sending off and working now.

Glad to hear it worked :)
angelos
Exetel Staff

Postby Dazzled on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:06 pm

When you have trouble like this with mail clients, it's worthwhile to try your mail account with no client at all, as if there is a server problem you will usually get an error message from the server.

Open a terminal or DOS prompt box, then conduct a conversation using telnet, as here (your typing in bold; use your name and password at ++++):

$ telnet pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au 110
Trying 220.233.0.76...
Connected to chestnut2-mail.exetel.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot ready. (Here there be dragons!)
USER ++++@exemail.com.au
+OK
PASS ++++
+OK Logged in.
LIST
+OK 21 messages:
1 2231
2 2233
3 2231

To read a particular message type RETR <number>

Emails can be sent using a similar text based procedure. Email history goes back to the the days before windowed graphics. This is the old way. Don't expect readable HTML stuff though, which is a breach of the standard.

PS I should have added: to leave the mailbox, type QUIT
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby maggie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Oooh this looks fun! Thanks Dazzled. Good for a back up. I don't have html on my email anyway because I uses gpg usually.
maggie

Postby Dazzled on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Have some more fun then. Here is the antediluvian way to send. (Actually under your TB graphic, this is what it is doing, but it hides it). Watch the colons on the commands MAIL FROM: and RCPT TO: You'll notice the server replies have a number - error codes are in this format too.

$ telnet smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au 25
Trying 220.233.0.71...
Connected to smtp.po.exetel.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.exemail.com.au ESMTP - Here there be dragons!
HELO exemail.com.au
250 smtp.exemail.com.au Hello *.*.*.*.static.exetel.com.au [*.*.*.*]
MAIL FROM: ++++@exemail.com.au
250 OK
RCPT TO: <destination email addr>
250 Accepted
DATA
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
This is a test message

250 OK id=1ZC0jb-0002DM-KY
QUIT
221 smtp.exemail.com.au closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

PS Another one, I'm getting forgetful. The DATA command only needs ASCII text, so a PGP encrypted file could be cut and pasted there. Then put the full stop line. That raises another point: the header info of encrypted email is still readable.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Return to Email issues