Unable to send emails via SMTP server

Email setup and troubleshooting
blissful

Unable to send emails via SMTP server

Post by blissful » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:11 am

I don't know if it had anything to do with the ADSL outage in WA today but I've been unable to send emails (except a couple that did get through) via the SMTP server (WA or NSW) for this afternoon and evening.
Receiving emails via the POP server has been OK.

The message I get is "Cannot send message using the server exetel", some verify and check text and then "The server response was: relay not permitted, authentication required"

I have not changed any settings and there hasn't been a recent Mail update. I am using a Mac running OS X 10.9.5.

Any help gratefully accepted.

sable

Re: Unable to send emails via SMTP server

Post by sable » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:41 am

Both Exetel's Smtp servers were blacklisted on a number of sites including Spamcop, according to Exetel the problem was fixed on Tuesday. A quick check shows still listed on 2 sites however may be false positives as I just ran test sent & received successfully

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:11 pm

blissful wrote:I don't know if it had anything to do with the ADSL outage in WA today but I've been unable to send emails (except a couple that did get through) via the SMTP server (WA or NSW) for this afternoon and evening.
Receiving emails via the POP server has been OK.

The message I get is "Cannot send message using the server exetel", some verify and check text and then "The server response was: relay not permitted, authentication required"

I have not changed any settings and there hasn't been a recent Mail update. I am using a Mac running OS X 10.9.5.

Any help gratefully accepted.
Could you please go through the email settings and make sure the below recommended setting are there. I believe that you are using an Exemail email address. Email issue you have is not related to the outage we had.

Username: *********@exemail.com.au (NOT @exeTEL.com.au)

Password: your correct email password

Outgoing Mail server: smtp.[state].exemail.com.au

Outgoing Mail Port: 25

SSL: Off

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:12 pm

sable wrote:Both Exetel's Smtp servers were blacklisted on a number of sites including Spamcop, according to Exetel the problem was fixed on Tuesday. A quick check shows still listed on 2 sites however may be false positives as I just ran test sent & received successfully
As you said, it has been resolved successfully and no further complaints received.

blissful

Post by blissful » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:10 pm

Thank you.
Working at the moment with the settings you listed.
Wasn't working with those settings previously. I had tried varying them with no success.
Hopefully it stays active. :lol:

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:58 pm

blissful wrote:Thank you.
Working at the moment with the settings you listed.
Wasn't working with those settings previously. I had tried varying them with no success.
Hopefully it stays active. :lol:
Awesome :D . It should be fine from now on.

6bushman

Post by 6bushman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Unable to send e-mails from this server 220.233.0.71. Very UNHAPPY

Messages return undeliverable with code 550 SC-004
Which equates to:
Mail rejected by Outlook.com for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. We recommend enrolling in our Junk Email Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove unwanted recipients from their email list. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your Email/Internet Service Provider for help.

Please get this fixed.

6bushman

devindag
Exetel Staff

Post by devindag » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:52 pm

6bushman wrote:Unable to send e-mails from this server 220.233.0.71. Very UNHAPPY

Messages return undeliverable with code 550 SC-004
Which equates to:
Mail rejected by Outlook.com for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. We recommend enrolling in our Junk Email Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove unwanted recipients from their email list. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your Email/Internet Service Provider for help.

Please get this fixed.

6bushman
A support ticket has been raised with the reference 9626530 and we are currently getting this investigated by our sys adminis. Exetel apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will get this looked in to ASAP and update you with.

6bushman

Post by 6bushman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:24 pm

devindag wrote:Unable to send e-mails from this server 220.233.0.71. Very UNHAPPY

A support ticket has been raised with the reference 9626530 and we are currently getting this investigated by our sys adminis. Exetel apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will get this looked in to ASAP and update you with.
E-mails sent are reaching their destinations Today.
Thank you for your attention to this problem.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:48 am

6bushman wrote:E-mails sent are reaching their destinations Today.
Thank you for your confirmation. Please continue monitoring the account and let us know if you bump into any further trouble.

6bushman

Post by 6bushman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:24 pm

6bushman wrote:E-mails sent are reaching their destinations Today.
Well its another day today and the same problem is there now. BUT different server:(New message today)

550 SC-004 (COL004-MC6F15) Unfortunately, messages from 220.233.0.8 weren't sent. We recommend that you contact your Internet service provider. The problem is that too many unwanted messages have been sent from the following IP address above. You can also refer your provider

So emails are blocked Code 550 SC-004 =
Mail rejected by Outlook.com for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Both IP addresses mentioned are used by the Exetel SMTP server.

From time to time a customer, and it's a good bet that it's someone with a Windows computer, is spamming. They are frequently unaware of the fact, having been infected by malware.

Unfortunately some of these overseas server administrators simply block the sending mail server when they could easily advise the ISP with the details and avoid so much grief for everyone. All ISPs in Australia have procedures for dealing with spam sent from their servers.

If a message sent back actually accuses your own personal IP of spamming (not the mail server IP), It would be a good idea to start a malware check.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:00 pm

As a test would you be able to change the smtp server back to smtp.<state>.exemail.com.au and check if the issue persists?

If it does, please paste the bounce back message you receive. It should be working now.

6bushman

Post by 6bushman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Dazzled wrote:...................
If a message sent back actually accuses your own personal IP of spamming (not the mail server IP),.....................
Sorry, but this is not my situation.
The IP's are exetel servers

6bushman

Post by 6bushman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:37 pm

angelos wrote:As a test would you be able to change the smtp server back to smtp.<state>.exemail.com.au and check if the issue persists?...
This is already the out going address in my e-mail program(and has been during these blocked outgoing messages)
Here is part of the message I got @ 9.23AM this morning:

550 SC-004 (COL004-MC6F15) Unfortunately, messages from 220.233.0.8 weren't sent. We recommend that you contact your Internet service provider

Please note "angelos" fault ticket already logged 14/11