pop3 server query

Email setup and troubleshooting

pop3 server query

Postby fredfrog on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi, I have an iPad with an exetel mail address that recently gave a message window saying unable to find pop3 server (pop3.nsw.com.au) and to check mail account settings. The settings were all in order and the iPad mail was being sent & received as normal. I checked the iMac account settings and noticed the pop3 server name (as above), was "ghosted" to a dull grey and could not be accessed. It too was receiving and sending mail as normal. Is this not a concern ? An associate advised me to delete the account and add it again with all the same settings. Is this recommended ?
Recent events that may be significant......upgraded iPad OS to latest, received a scam email claiming to be from Exetel that created a small permanently on top widow when the message opened, saying to ignore the message if you recently used an iPad, with an "OK" button to click.The email could be deleted but the OK window could not , had to restart the computer to get rid of it.
(forwarded scam email to exetel residential support at their request)
fredfrog

Re: pop3 server query

Postby angelos on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:12 am

fredfrog wrote:Hi, I have an iPad with an exetel mail address that recently gave a message window saying unable to find pop3 server (pop3.nsw.com.au) and to check mail account settings. The settings were all in order and the iPad mail was being sent & received as normal. I checked the iMac account settings and noticed the pop3 server name (as above), was "ghosted" to a dull grey and could not be accessed. It too was receiving and sending mail as normal. Is this not a concern ? An associate advised me to delete the account and add it again with all the same settings. Is this recommended ?
Recent events that may be significant......upgraded iPad OS to latest, received a scam email claiming to be from Exetel that created a small permanently on top widow when the message opened, saying to ignore the message if you recently used an iPad, with an "OK" button to click.The email could be deleted but the OK window could not , had to restart the computer to get rid of it.
(forwarded scam email to exetel residential support at their request)

Not particularly sure about the greying out part, but the incoming mail server is wrong. It should be pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au and outgoing smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au

Deleting the account and adding it again usually solves a lot of problems but if you are able to send and receive without any issues, then that may not solve it. You could try creating a completely random email address through your MyExetel facility and give that a go on your iPad. See if you can duplicate this issue.
angelos
Exetel Staff

Postby fredfrog on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have erred, the pop3 and smtp server names do have "exemail" in them as you said, my apologies. Perhaps if the mail is still operating OK I should leave well enough alone and try the delete/reenter trick if any problems arise.
fredfrog

Postby angelos on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:38 am

fredfrog wrote:Thanks for the reply, I have erred, the pop3 and smtp server names do have "exemail" in them as you said, my apologies. Perhaps if the mail is still operating OK I should leave well enough alone and try the delete/reenter trick if any problems arise.

That is the best option. Why I suggested that before is because you may lose any saved mail when deleting the account.
angelos
Exetel Staff

Return to Email issues