Outgoing email issues - el Capitan

Email setup and troubleshooting

Outgoing email issues - el Capitan

Postby Rennie on Thu May 26, 2016 8:43 pm

I am receiving the error message: Cannot send message using the server smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au

I upgraded to a new macbook that has El Capitan as the OS, previously was on OSX. The macbook running OSX can send and receive emails.

Have been through the accounts to ensure that they are set up correctly and appear to be so. The options are slightly different by OS. El Capitan includes TLS Certificate options (which I have set to none) and in advanced settings there is an option to allow insecure connection - which I have selected.

Any assistance in getting the outgoing mail sorted would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rennie

Re: Outgoing email issues - el Capitan

Postby Dazzled on Thu May 26, 2016 10:44 pm

The smtp server requires that you use an Exetel IP address, and use plain text - no encryption. Port 25, and no authentication.

The simplest way to test your connection is the ancient way from the early days of email - typed on the terminal. That way we see the error state being returned. Windows users may have to enable the built-in telnet. Netcat (nc) works too, for Linux types.

$ telnet smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au 25
Trying 220.233.0.8...
Connected to smtp.po.exetel.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.exemail.com.au ESMTP - Here there be dragons!
quit
221 smtp.exemail.com.au closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

Note any message code. 220 is good.
You can look up more at http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html. I still find this method a quick and easy way to send simple messages.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Return to Email issues