pop3 not responding

Email setup and troubleshooting
fredfrog

pop3 not responding

Post by fredfrog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 am

I have had previous problems with mail servers but this is a variation. My PC mail is working perfectly but my iPad (using the same servers) suddenly gave error message - The mail server "pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct info in mail settings.
The iPad has been happily motoring for years on the current settings.
The iPad sends mail OK (smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au) but is not receiving. If I follow advice of some support sites I should delete the account and re enter. If I do this will all messages be lost. I'm hoping it can be cured without that happening.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: pop3 not responding

Post by KavindaS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:53 pm

fredfrog wrote:I have had previous problems with mail servers but this is a variation. My PC mail is working perfectly but my iPad (using the same servers) suddenly gave error message - The mail server "pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct info in mail settings.
The iPad has been happily motoring for years on the current settings.
The iPad sends mail OK (smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au) but is not receiving. If I follow advice of some support sites I should delete the account and re enter. If I do this will all messages be lost. I'm hoping it can be cured without that happening.
Without removing and re adding, follow the guide lines give on https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.p ... 57#p322257 and it should work.

Settings => Accounts & Passwords => Select your exemail account => Advanced => Authentication

Select 'MD5 Challenge-Response' followed by "Back" and then, finally, "Done" to save the change.

Alternatively:

Mail => Preferences => Accounts => Select your exemail account => Advanced => Authentication

Select 'MD5 Challenge-Response' followed by "Back" and then, finally, "Save" to save the change.

You should now be able to re-open the mail app to connect to your mailbox.

Unquote

We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

fredfrog

Post by fredfrog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Thank you "Kavindas", It seems Authentication was the answer. Discovered an almost identical post from March 2012 where 'password' was the setting. Anyway, iPad now receiving & sending.
Regards fredfrog

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Glad I found this - I had the same issue on my iOS devices over the last couple of days - although they’ve worked fine for several years - so as soon as I changed the authentication setting as above it worked again
Any idea what caused it to suddenly stop working?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 pm

bodogbodog wrote:Glad I found this - I had the same issue on my iOS devices over the last couple of days - although they’ve worked fine for several years - so as soon as I changed the authentication setting as above it worked again
Any idea what caused it to suddenly stop working?
Yes it should work fine after the suggested changes applied. Reason for this you may find via https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.p ... 57#p322257

Bryanjohnson

Post by Bryanjohnson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:34 pm

I have the same issue on my iphone5 and my wife has same issue with her iphone5. It was working for many years until wed 8 Nov 17. We have done everything as contained in the recommended fix ( ie change authentication to md5 challenge-response) but still does not resolve the issue. Keeps saying pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au is not responding. we have rebooted iPhone , we have deleted email account on iPhone and re added it , but the issue still persists .
The incoming server port is set to 110, ssl is turned off, IMAP path prefix is blank, s/mime is blank.
We are at the latest iOS 10.3.3
Anyone else know what else to try?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Bryanjohnson wrote:I have the same issue on my iphone5 and my wife has same issue with her iphone5. It was working for many years until wed 8 Nov 17. We have done everything as contained in the recommended fix ( ie change authentication to md5 challenge-response) but still does not resolve the issue. Keeps saying pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au is not responding. we have rebooted iPhone , we have deleted email account on iPhone and re added it , but the issue still persists .
The incoming server port is set to 110, ssl is turned off, IMAP path prefix is blank, s/mime is blank.
We are at the latest iOS 10.3.3
Anyone else know what else to try?

I have referred to your ticket reference number 12236066. Based on that we have suggested the required settings and you seems have tested with them. Almost every customer who has tested the same had confirmed the service working after that. However to check with you one more time, I have arranged one of the senior engineers to contact you and go through the settings.