E-mail line length limit

Email setup and troubleshooting
phelum

E-mail line length limit

Post by phelum » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi,

Recently (last few months) it looks like the Exemail mail server has been upgraded and the new version is enforcing the RFC suggestion that lines not exceed 998 octets + CRLF. This seems a silly restriction to me and hasn't been enforced for many years.

I believe this "feature" was introduced in the latest Exim and can be disabled by a IGNORE_SMTP_LINE_LENGTH_LIMIT line in update-exim4.conf.conf.

I'd like to request that the restriction be disabled if possible. I realise the RFC suggests the restriction but conversely it also recommends that servers be designed to handle longer lines. So it seems unnecessary to me for Exetel to restrict e-mails from clients. It is easy to have a free-format paragraph that is more than 998 characters and such paragraphs are sent as one line.

Thanks,
-- Steven Saunderson

AroshJ
Exetel Staff

Re: E-mail line length limit

Post by AroshJ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:16 pm

phelum wrote:Hi,

Recently (last few months) it looks like the Exemail mail server has been upgraded and the new version is enforcing the RFC suggestion that lines not exceed 998 octets + CRLF. This seems a silly restriction to me and hasn't been enforced for many years.

I believe this "feature" was introduced in the latest Exim and can be disabled by a IGNORE_SMTP_LINE_LENGTH_LIMIT line in update-exim4.conf.conf.

I'd like to request that the restriction be disabled if possible. I realise the RFC suggests the restriction but conversely it also recommends that servers be designed to handle longer lines. So it seems unnecessary to me for Exetel to restrict e-mails from clients. It is easy to have a free-format paragraph that is more than 998 characters and such paragraphs are sent as one line.

Thanks,
Please note that we wish to raise this matter with our email administrators internally. Appreciate if you could forward any error messages / headers of returned emails to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au for further investigation.

phelum

Re: E-mail line length limit

Post by phelum » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:37 pm

AroshJ wrote: Please note that we wish to raise this matter with our email administrators internally. Appreciate if you could forward any error messages / headers of returned emails to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au for further investigation.
Okay, shall do.

Thanks,
-- Steven Saunderson