Unusual Activity

Email setup and troubleshooting
luxford

Unusual Activity

Post by luxford » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:01 am

Yesterday afternoon I received an SMS stating that there was unusual activity on one of my emal address and to ring Exetel to sort it out.
After several attempts to ring with the usual long wait 100 minutes plus I finally got a ring back message and made the selections for a call back but it did not go through and the call dropped out. I evemtually did manage to talk to an operator after 5 hours and was told that I had a virus on my machine. He said run virus checker and change password. He would send me an email and I could respond oe I had done as he had requested and suspension would be lifted. I have done as he requested but have not received his email. This morning I have again attempted to ring and got the usual queue. After a while I got a meesage that staed if I selected 7 my place in the queue would be held and I would get a cal back when I reached the head of the queue (approx 30 minutes at that time. An hour later no call back so ring again. This time queue has blown out again and sellected option 7 again and this time I get an acknowlegement to say my requested call back will occur. This had not happened previously. I suspect that there is a problem with you system that need attention as in only 1 of 3 attempts has my request for a call back been acknowledged.
That aside, I have run virus scans and changed password as requested. Can somebody please lift the suspension on my email account.
Thank you

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Unusual Activity

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 pm

luxford wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:01 am
Yesterday afternoon I received an SMS stating that there was unusual activity on one of my emal address and to ring Exetel to sort it out.
After several attempts to ring with the usual long wait 100 minutes plus I finally got a ring back message and made the selections for a call back but it did not go through and the call dropped out. I evemtually did manage to talk to an operator after 5 hours and was told that I had a virus on my machine. He said run virus checker and change password. He would send me an email and I could respond oe I had done as he had requested and suspension would be lifted. I have done as he requested but have not received his email. This morning I have again attempted to ring and got the usual queue. After a while I got a meesage that staed if I selected 7 my place in the queue would be held and I would get a cal back when I reached the head of the queue (approx 30 minutes at that time. An hour later no call back so ring again. This time queue has blown out again and sellected option 7 again and this time I get an acknowlegement to say my requested call back will occur. This had not happened previously. I suspect that there is a problem with you system that need attention as in only 1 of 3 attempts has my request for a call back been acknowledged.
That aside, I have run virus scans and changed password as requested. Can somebody please lift the suspension on my email account.
Thank you
I have checked the relevant email ticket number 15650577, and we have emailed you on your given alternate exemail email address 16 July 2019 at 11:16 pm.

However, since you have confirmed the performed changes and the scanning, I will get this escalated with the system administrators and reply you, once they have lift the suspension.

thunter0512

Post by thunter0512 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:40 pm

I have the exact same problem except I am a new customer with a brand new email which was active for less than 24 hours before it was disabled. On July 19 I have reported the issue via your webmail as well as via a phone call. I spoke to Ayesh Fernando who promised to escalate to the "hosting team". The suspension was on July 18 and I have received no futher emails or calls from Exetel. I have also not received any replies to my follow up emails (24 July, 25 July and today 26 July).

I tried to call the Exetel support line with well over 100 people waiting in front of me but no callback was offered by the IVRS system. Today in desperation I tried to just press 7 anyway, but this didn't work.

I want my email back and a detailed and precise explanation of what "unusual activity" was seen. I am a software engineer with about 40 years experince with many years working in data comms implementing Internet protocols. Please don't fob me off with "you have a virus or somebody stole your password".

The ticket details are: [Exetel Residential Technical Support #15676774] Website Contact Email - 0861468367

Please help!

Tom

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:55 pm

thunter0512 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:40 pm
I have the exact same problem except I am a new customer with a brand new email which was active for less than 24 hours before it was disabled. On July 19 I have reported the issue via your webmail as well as via a phone call. I spoke to Ayesh Fernando who promised to escalate to the "hosting team". The suspension was on July 18 and I have received no futher emails or calls from Exetel. I have also not received any replies to my follow up emails (24 July, 25 July and today 26 July).

I tried to call the Exetel support line with well over 100 people waiting in front of me but no callback was offered by the IVRS system. Today in desperation I tried to just press 7 anyway, but this didn't work.

I want my email back and a detailed and precise explanation of what "unusual activity" was seen. I am a software engineer with about 40 years experince with many years working in data comms implementing Internet protocols. Please don't fob me off with "you have a virus or somebody stole your password".

The ticket details are: [Exetel Residential Technical Support #15676774] Website Contact Email - 0861468367

Please help!

Tom
Hi Tom,

Exetel apologies for the inconvenience may have caused. I will check this and reply to you via the same ticket reference.

thunter0512

Post by thunter0512 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:47 pm

I have given up trying to use Exemail. I have deleted my email address. Apart from the nonsense suspension the email service is rather pathetic anyway with a mailbox size of only 40 MB. The free email providers have limits several magnitudes higher. Disk space is dirt cheap. Here I pay money to get 40 MB. FOURTY MEGABYTE!!! GUYS WAKE UP!!!

Overall the email side and support of Exetel is very disappointing. I was with Iinet for 24 years. I regret switching to Exetel and should have stayed with Iinet.

To be fair though the setup was completely painless and the NBN speed is decent.

I guess this is the typical growing pains of a small company being flooded with new customers and not being prepared for it. Getting hyped up by Whistleout didn't help. The recent price increase is a testimony to Exetel's inability to keep up and having to slow down the influx of customers.

Cheers
Tom

rasikak
Exetel Staff

Post by rasikak » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:30 pm

thunter0512 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:47 pm
I have given up trying to use Exemail. I have deleted my email address. Apart from the nonsense suspension the email service is rather pathetic anyway with a mailbox size of only 40 MB. The free email providers have limits several magnitudes higher. Disk space is dirt cheap. Here I pay money to get 40 MB. FOURTY MEGABYTE!!! GUYS WAKE UP!!!

Overall the email side and support of Exetel is very disappointing. I was with Iinet for 24 years. I regret switching to Exetel and should have stayed with Iinet.

To be fair though the setup was completely painless and the NBN speed is decent.

I guess this is the typical growing pains of a small company being flooded with new customers and not being prepared for it. Getting hyped up by Whistleout didn't help. The recent price increase is a testimony to Exetel's inability to keep up and having to slow down the influx of customers.

Cheers
Tom

Thank you for reaching out. Please note that Exemail email is a value added service provided free of charge to Exetel customers. However due to this fact the Exemail inbox is limited to 40MB. We appreciate your feedback on this which will help us to improve the services that are provided by Exetel in the future.