Warning email: 67% used at rollover???

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

Warning email: 67% used at rollover???

Postby kyteflyer on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 am

Clearly this is a mistake. Even in my member area, I have only just tipped 100GB for December so I cannot possibly have got to 337GB in a few hours (my allowance is 500GB) Especially since I have been asleep.

However, I would be seriously p'd off if the system started capping my speed if I do happen to reach 500GB before the middle of January (unlikely, most months I am 150GB or less).

How can the email system get it so wrong?
14/12/2017 to 13/1/2018
Date Upload Download
14/December/2017 120.92 MB 3,214.70 MB
15/December/2017 3.28 MB 11.39 MB
Total: 124.20 MB 3,226.09 MB

So... what gives?
kyteflyer

Re: Warning email: 67% used at rollover???

Postby smack on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:06 am

Hi, I've just had the same problem. A User notification email was sent saying I was at 192% with a usage of 575.75GB. (My limit is 300GB). But looking into my account its 5,757.5MB
smack

Postby clintdb on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:08 am

Me too.
We have a 75Gb ADSL2+ plan. Typically use 10-20Gb per month (maximum once was 40Gb).
Email at 12:37am saying we had used 91% (68Gb) and another one at 7:36am saying we used 121% (90Gb).

I was concerned that someone was leeching of us until I saw the above couple of posts (thank you!).
Also, I wasn't sure if that much could be downloaded in that short period of time over ADSL2+ that is more than 2km from an exchange.
My online usage information (Exetel website) isn't showing anything unusual, so it is currently pointing to an Exetel error.

Have tried calling, was just on hold for 15 minutes (6th in the queue the whole time) and then the phone went to the engaged tone. Tried calling back and got the engaged tone again.
clintdb

Postby clintdb on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:15 am

Just called back again and got straight through this time!

The Exetel rep confirmed they were having problems and that the emails were incorrect.
The data usage showing on the member portal is correct and that there would be no speed restrictions/extra data purchases happening due to the incorrect emails.
clintdb

Postby KavindaS on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi All,

Kindly refer the notification we have posted via viewtopic.php?f=296&t=43792&p=322514#p322514

Exetel apologize for any inconvenience caused.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby grumpygasbag on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi Kavinda,

Thanks for posting the notification but I just want to mention that this caused a little bit more than just inconvenience.

I awoke at 5.30 to an email saying that in the first two days of the month we'd exceeded our allowance by 430% (644Gb!). This resulted in quite a lot of stress. Like clintdb, I was very concerned that either somebody had hacked our network and/or one of our computers was infected and/or one of my family had actually downloaded that amount of data for some reason. I tried to ring Exetel only to find there'd be no answer until 8.30, so then I spent the next couple of hours desperately trying to interrogate my modem and the various computers to work out what had happened.

The search was fruitless, of course, as we now know, but in the meantime I'd upset at least two other members of my family by asking if somebody might have been downloading excessively. Both Telstra and Virgin recently gave members of our household discounts on their mobile phone accounts for minor problems that caused a lot less stress than this. Perhaps Exetel might consider doing likewise.
grumpygasbag

Postby KavindaS on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:14 pm

grumpygasbag wrote:Hi Kavinda,

Thanks for posting the notification but I just want to mention that this caused a little bit more than just inconvenience.

I awoke at 5.30 to an email saying that in the first two days of the month we'd exceeded our allowance by 430% (644Gb!). This resulted in quite a lot of stress. Like clintdb, I was very concerned that either somebody had hacked our network and/or one of our computers was infected and/or one of my family had actually downloaded that amount of data for some reason. I tried to ring Exetel only to find there'd be no answer until 8.30, so then I spent the next couple of hours desperately trying to interrogate my modem and the various computers to work out what had happened.

The search was fruitless, of course, as we now know, but in the meantime I'd upset at least two other members of my family by asking if somebody might have been downloading excessively. Both Telstra and Virgin recently gave members of our household discounts on their mobile phone accounts for minor problems that caused a lot less stress than this. Perhaps Exetel might consider doing likewise.

Once again Exetel apologize for any inconvenience caused. I will escalate your concerns with the senior management on this.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Return to Other