Exetel Dashboard Widget

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
BeetlePod

Re: Exetel Dashboard Widget

Post by BeetlePod » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Any chance you can make one that monitors mobile usage data as well (or seperate) or let me know how to do it :-)

Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:00 pm

BeetlePod, I don't know what Tamar has planned for the future, but you could do yourself a mobile phone meter, and it would be makeshift, and nothing like Tamar's present solution.

Exetel doesn't provide an XML feed for mobiles as is done for internet data, so an XMLHttpRequest in javascript (the basis of the Mac widget) is precluded straightaway.

You would need to heavily alter Tamar's javascripts, or make a new similar application to enter the secure server php at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/usage_mobile4.php, extract the html input form element from the server output, respond to the server, and download the html output for scraping. In other words, ugly and awkward and nasty, and the Exetel page isn't even updated at regular intervals through the day. Having got the data, it could then be displayed. If the web site changes then the meter script would need changing too.

Personally if I had to, I'd just do a quick and dirty read and scrape job in a shell script, or better, set a bookmark in my browser. With an XML output from Exetel things would be different.

Tamar

Post by Tamar » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:15 pm

+1, and yep this would take some work.

C'mon Exetel, on page 2 of this thread, your users asked for an xml wireless usage page. This was way back in 2006, near the dawn of creation in internet time. :?

If fixed line usage data can be made available over xml, then surely wireless can too??

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi & Thanks!!
I really like this widget.
I've just changed to the "NF/21NoTel" plan. Offpeak up/downloads don't actually have a fixed limit and as such appear as red, excess usage on the widget screen.
Is there anything that could be done to change that?

Tamar

Post by Tamar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Aaphid, will take a look at this for the next release.

marcus.sg

Post by marcus.sg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 am

Tamar, what happened to your Movies Australia widget. Mine never seems to work now.

Tamar

Post by Tamar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:04 pm

marcus.sg wrote:Tamar, what happened to your Movies Australia widget. Mine never seems to work now.
Haven't maintained it. Nowadays there are many better options available, such as http://www.google.com/movies, which you can use on your iphone or smartphone too.

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 pm

OK I'll watch out for the next release

Perhaps if there is no way for the widget to find the current months download limit then maybe I could suggest that the end user be able to enter in a value themselves.

Personally I would just enter something like 50GB knowing that this is under the limit and at the same time more than I will use in a month. If someone did this and ever went over that number the red bar would serve as a reminder to double check what the limit for that month is.

globalmark

How Do I Completely Remove Widget so I can reinstall

Post by globalmark » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:29 am

Hi

I have been using the Tamham Widget for a Few years in my Old House now I have moved and Have a New Number . I tried just to put the new number and Password in the Widget but every time I restart it comes back with old Phone number.
I tried Deleting the Widget and downloading a new one and reinstalling but still the old Number returns ??

Can some give me step by step Instructions on how to Clear the complete Tamham Widget bits I need so i can reinstall a new one that will work ! OR let me know the Best way to fix this.
I read something on another post about removing a PREF file or P.LIST or something like that , but could not find it .
So would be great if someone can let me know exactly WHAT to remove and WHERE to find it.

Thanks Mark

Tamar

Re: How Do I Completely Remove Widget so I can reinstall

Post by Tamar » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:01 pm

globalmark wrote: So would be great if someone can let me know exactly WHAT to remove and WHERE to find it.
globalmark, try the following steps:

1. Remove the widget from dashboard: in dashboard, click the "+", then click "manage widgets", scroll down to find the widget and then hit the red "-" button.
2. Remove the prefs file: in Finder, go to your home folder, then select the Library folder, and then the Preferences folder. Scroll down to locate the file widget-com.tamham.widget.exetelmeter.plist. Delete it.
3. Empty trash.
4. Download and re-install the widget.

Hope this helps.

globalmark

Post by globalmark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks mate

That seems to have sorted it , as I read the post before and could not work out what exactly the Prefs file was I was supposed to delete.

Thanks Mark

Tamar

Post by Tamar » Sun May 23, 2010 7:13 pm

New version available here: http://tamham.com/. No longer using Quartz due to CPU usage problems, back to simple html5 usage bars.
marcus.sg wrote:Tamar, what happened to your Movies Australia widget. Mine never seems to work now.
And new Movie Times widget too: http://tamham.com/movie-times/.

Soliah

Post by Soliah » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:59 pm

There seems to be a bug when there isn't an off peak limit as per the new unlimited off peak plans.

It permanently stays faded and doesn't get upload data.

Tamar

Post by Tamar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Soliah wrote:There seems to be a bug when there isn't an off peak limit as per the new unlimited off peak plans.
Fixed.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Is this something that is solid enough to be added to the User facilities for anyone to download?