Gentoo Linux

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Lsnick

Gentoo Linux

Post by Lsnick » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi everyone =D

Well, I've finally had it. Windows XP has finally pushed me over the edge and I want to move -fully- into linux. I have used Linux lots before and I'd say I'm almost at an intermediate level after a few months of stuffing around with Fedora Core 4, 5 and 6, Fiesty Ubuntu and Backtrack (lol). So I think I'm comfortable with just going singleboot Linux now.

After a bit of researching I've decided Gentoo is definately the way I want to go, so I just quickly read over the Handbook and backed up most of my files.. I think I'm ready to go. My question to you guys is, what are some really usefull packages I should install once it's fully up and running? All I really need is document & spreadsheet program, lots of music + video codecs and WineX =D

Any suggestions? Thanks!

edit: is it possible to get the Gentoo 2007.0 LiveCD/DVD on the mirror site? Save me downloading it at 10kb/sec via torrent.

austdata

Post by austdata » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Open Office. It's a top set up and can read and save in MS Word, Excel, etc. formats.

Cheers,

Mike

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:52 pm

OO as stated above; Opera; mplayer; VLC media player - these should do what you want. Make sure you get all the codec libraries for the media players.

funkz

Post by funkz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:16 am

I really like gnumeric, a spreadsheet program that's getting better and better. It's also not a pile of bloat like Openoffice is. I do like Openoffice however, it is definately less buggy. But gnumeric is way fast and covers the basic functions. For word processing, you could also try Abiword, but I've found that to be a bit buggy.

Gentoo is awesome for what it is. Compilation of every conceivable software package, customised for your own hardware and done with ease (emerge) definately makes gentoo a unique Linux distro. I've been using it for years but I'm getting to that stage where I want it 'to just work' without having to muck around with looking at logs, editing config files etc, so I've been using Ubuntu lately.

Good luck with it. :)

Valglin

Post by Valglin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:10 am

I've been using wine in preference to wineX (now cedega). Gentoo, AMD64
gnumeric, vi, and openoffice for when people mail you word documents.
i find wesnoth essential software, too.