Setting up wireless

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Ford Zephyr

Setting up wireless

Post by Ford Zephyr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm

I have just installed a wireless card in an ibook and the computer shows an Airport ID on Automatic but does not connect to the Internet. It does connect via the Ethernet cable. Network Diagnostics asks for a Network name and password with several options of Wireless Security. Firstly, is Network name critical and which password applies to Wireless? Is it one provided by Exetel or one of my own? If it is my own it does not want to accept the only one I have used as far as I know. And finally which Wireless Security is recommended or does it matter? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:04 pm

I don't really have any Mac expertise, but I'll give this a shot:
Ford Zephyr wrote:Firstly, is Network name critical
Network name is not critical, it just identifies the wireless network. It is good practice to change it from the default though so it doesn't clash with other wireless networks
Ford Zephyr wrote:Is it one provided by Exetel or one of my own?
One of your own, you will have configured it in the wireless router
Ford Zephyr wrote:And finally which Wireless Security is recommended or does it matter?
WPA is preferable over WEP as WEP is not really "security", only "privacy". I personally only use access control because I'm not interested in security, just restricting wireless access to machines which i designate. You can try temporarily disabling the security settings to see it that solves your connection issue

hHowever...I'm just going to ask a side question: Is the Airport ID that you are trying to connect to yours? Because I can see some of your previous posts mention that you own a Netcomm NB9W. The way you pose the question is sort of "I installed a wireless card in an iBook. Don't own an Airport wireless router but one appears in my network. How can I connect to it?". Otherwise, perhaps I am just showing my ignorance of Macs and the term "Airport" is Mac-speak for "Wireless network" and the ID you are seeing is just your NB9W.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:57 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:hHowever...I'm just going to ask a side question: Is the Airport ID that you are trying to connect to yours? Because I can see some of your previous posts mention that you own a Netcomm NB9W. The way you pose the question is sort of "I installed a wireless card in an iBook. Don't own an Airport wireless router but one appears in my network. How can I connect to it?". Otherwise, perhaps I am just showing my ignorance of Macs and the term "Airport" is Mac-speak for "Wireless network" and the ID you are seeing is just your NB9W.
No, you are not ignorant Corey. :D From that description I'd say Ford is looking at a neighbour's Airport Base station - perhaps because Ford is on an iBook there is confusion about what to expect? Obviously Ford needs to connect to the network set up in his NB9W which should be displayed in his Airport menu. This ensures all network requsts ie. Internet connections go only via Airport.

@Ford

You may need to rearrange the "priority" of your network interfaces in the Network prefs pane - if Airport is not the topmost in the list just click and drag it to the top. For the purposes of testing, disable (untick) all items in the list except for Airport.

As Corey mentioned, don't worry about WEP/WPA for now, just get basic connectivity going, then worry about securing your WiFi. When you are ready to secure your WiF you should use WPA is it is much more hassle free to set up on Macs than WEP, not to mention far more secure than WEP.

Ford Zephyr

Re: Setting up wireless

Post by Ford Zephyr » Sat May 03, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks to all for their suggestions. I have applied them but still cannot connect. My desktop connects via both ethernet and wireless and I am using the same settings and password on the laptop. The wireless connection is via automatic and there is an Airport ID showing. Connecting to 192.168.1.1 shows Status Wireless connection Pass but Network Status in Network in Sys Prefs shows Airport turned on but not connected.m Any further ideas appreciated. Thanks

Ford Zephyr

Re: Setting up wireless

Post by Ford Zephyr » Sat May 03, 2008 3:33 pm

I should have added that as far as I can be sure the password is the one I used to set up the modem in the first place and one I use for many similar applications. Even so I still get a message that either my Network name or password is incorrect.