Trying to access my Computer via dyndns

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
GLOpro

Trying to access my Computer via dyndns

Post by GLOpro » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi,

Im having all sorts of trouble trying to access my Computer using Dyndns.

Can anyone help with setting this up.

Thanks

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Trying to access my Computer via dyndns

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:26 pm

I use dyndns. First step is to set up a Dynamic DNS hosting service (I assume you are using the free one?) and point it to your modem's WAN IP. Next you need to open up the port on your modem that corresponds to the specific service you wish to access externally and redirect it to your internal IP. After that, things should just work, however a few subtle things that you should be aware of:
  • You, of course, need a working service (FTP, web host, etc) on your internal computer. You should first test it from the same computer (i.e. ftp://localhost) or from a second computer within the network (ftp://192.168.0.10)
  • You often need to change the management port of your modem's web interface from 80 to something else. Otherwise all external HTTP access using the dyndns URL will be intercepted by the modem and usually discard as remote management is disabled by default
  • Some modems don't perform loopback, so even though http://localhost works, your external dyndns URL won't. This is normal for, say, Dynalink modems, and if you wish to test it properly you should use a completely external connection (i.e. work connection, call a friend, dial up) or a VPN or a proxy.

GLOpro

Post by GLOpro » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi Corey,

Thanks for your reply.
CoreyPlover wrote:You, of course, need a working service (FTP, web host, etc) on your internal computer. You should first test it from the same computer (i.e. ftp://localhost) or from a second computer within the network (ftp://192.168.0.10)
I am using the free dyndns service. I have pointed it to my WAN IP.

CoreyPlover wrote:You often need to change the management port of your modem's web interface from 80 to something else. Otherwise all external HTTP access using the dyndns URL will be intercepted by the modem and usually discard as remote management is disabled by default
I can open http://server:80 which displays my Windows Home Server UI from another PC on my LAN.

CoreyPlover wrote:Some modems don't perform loopback, so even though http://localhost works, your external dyndns URL won't. This is normal for, say, Dynalink modems, and if you wish to test it properly you should use a completely external connection (i.e. work connection, call a friend, dial up) or a VPN or a proxy.
I am using a Open824RLW (BIllion 7404vgp) router. I have mapped port 80 to the WHS box and set up the virtual server config withing the router.

Only after disabling the Routers Firewall was i able to ping my WAN IP, but i still cant access the WHS box.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:24 pm

I can access your WHS login screen using your IP address as well as the homeserver.com URL you have attributed to your self-signed certificate. I suspect you also have an issue with loopback but externally, everything looks like it is working perfectly at this time.

Edit: Looking at the URL closer, homeserver.com is not your dyndns one, is it? In that case, the issue may be a security exception as the SSL certificate you have cites glopro.homeserver.com. You may need to sign your own certificate, or allow an exception, to let the alternate dyndns.org URL work.

GLOpro

Post by GLOpro » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks Corey,

I have been sitting here playing all afternoon.

Only in the last 30 mins have i been able to access my WHS page from another location.

Yes, that is my homeserver page, but i am also trying to access that via the dyndns also. How do i make the exception?

Cheers

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:09 pm

GLOpro wrote: How do i make the exception?
This will depend on your browser. The exception is a client-side feature telling the browser to ignore any difference between the URL being accessed and the one stated on the SSL certificate.
  • In Mozilla Firefox 3.0 it is very easy. The first access to the page will return a "Page Load Error" with a link to allow you to add an exception
  • In IE7, there should also be a similar, error message, with an option to "Continue to this website (not recommended)"
  • In IE6, there will be a pop-up asking "Do you want to proceed?", just click "Yes"
Actually, a possible explanation is simply that the new DNS entry for your dyndns URL hasn't propagated into Exetel's DNS servers. When you ping the dyndns.org URL, does it resolve to the correct IP address? Perhaps you can post the alternate dyndns URL and I can test it from here. Alternatively, I would simply wait 24 hours to allow the propagation to occur and retest it.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:47 pm

GLOpro, is your dynDNS URL working now?

GLOpro

Post by GLOpro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi Corey,

I had it working, but my WHS box wont retain its IP address, (or the router wont let it keep it)

So when that happens i cant access it, because the router port forwards to an IP, and i cant find where to forward to a 'PC name'.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Assing the WHS box a static IP (i.e. configure it to be static in the WHS's network, TCP/IP properties, then exclude this IP address from your router's DHCP range). Alternatively, most routers have an option to always assign the same DHCP allocated IP address to specific MAC addresses.

Edit: The Open824RLW does seem to have a "Permanent DHCP lease" screen (Status > DHCP Table > Permanent section). These may be configurable via LAN > DHCP Server > "DHCP Server" mode > Next

GLOpro

Post by GLOpro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Most routers do, but with mine, once the IP lease expires, it seems to only renew if the MAC is active,

I know that sounds odd, but i had assigned a static IP and after the lease, it seemed to offer to another MAC.

Will give your fixed IP external to DHCP range a go.

Thanks