Can't connect to internet

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
theuptake

Can't connect to internet

Post by theuptake » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 am

Can someone please help me setup my internet correctly? I've tried their emailed instructions and their online "MAC setup guide" but with no luck.

I'm running a Netcomm NB5 ADSL2 modem going into a Linksys WRT110 router. I can connect to the internet just fine using the NB5 modem but going into the router seems to be the problem. I've had this all working fine till just the other day when my settings were accidently erased by a setup wizard (total bummer). Exetel have provided me with my password/username for the PPPoE but I just can't get it working again.

Can someone provide a link to a step by step guide or elaborate for me?

I've tried this one provided by exetel http://www.exetel.com.au/wl_setup_instruction.php but it NO way reflects my mac setup.

Many thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Can't connect to internet

Post by Dazzled » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 am

It is probably an addressing conflict problem, and you would be better off sorting it via ethernet cable first. Since the simple case worked, your modem is probably assigning IP adresses to the network (DHCP), and the router will have to be set to obtain an address in the appropriate range from the modem. Once done, you should have ethernet connectivity. Then set up wireless.

PS Your computer should dynamically receive its address from the modem as well - check the settings, and never use wizards/special CDs to configure modems and routers, use the browser interface .

PPS p10 of the LInksys manual

theuptake

Post by theuptake » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks Dazzled...

Which IP address would I use for the router then? The one supplied to me through the user services?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 pm

No. The Exetel IP is your address as seen by the outside world. Inside your network the Netcomm lives at 192.168.1.1 This device is normally handing out the addresses for your router and computer, using numbers a little greater than its own (ie, in the same range). If you plug your Mac straight into the modem you can enquire what IP address the computer has been given, for example.

The router is a different beast as by default it also wants to be at the same address and it also wants to manage the network (the jargon is DHCP server). See p10 of the router manual to disable this feature. Your modem should assign a new address to the router.

If you wish, you can also do it the other way round, with the router staying as DHCP server and disabling DHCP at the modem. The router maker probably assumed customers would be using a "dumber" simpler modem than the NB5 with it.

In each case you will need an ethernet cable from the Mac into each device to be configured, one at a time, and use the web browser interface. Once you get addressing right, enabling wireless is straightforward.

Repeat: Never use router/modem setup wizards or install software - you can easily get into a mess.