quake 3/ET server

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
player2

quake 3/ET server

Post by player2 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:06 pm

i am having problem getting my quake 3 server up. I have correctly forwarded the prot, i know this because if i use the port is other programs it works. but when i have the server running and use a port checker its says the port is not open. i also can connect to the server from a LAN PC but not when i use my internet IP address. any suggestions ? i was thinking exetel might have somthing setup to stop servers can someone confirm if this is/isn't the case?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: quake 3/ET server

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:14 pm

Quake3 isn't my scene, sorry, but I can tell you that Exetel doesn't block ports, and that there are plenty of servers about. A lot of games traffic needs prioritising so it doesn't get confused with P2P and dropped in priority, but I think that one is covered.

player2

Post by player2 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:35 pm

Dazzled wrote:Quake3 isn't my scene, sorry, but I can tell you that Exetel doesn't block ports, and that there are plenty of servers about. A lot of games traffic needs prioritising so it doesn't get confused with P2P and dropped in priority, but I think that one is covered.
i know the ports arn't being blocked because i can set the port i was going to use for the server in other programs and they work.
but could the packets be inspected and if they contain quake 3 server info they get blocked?
the other idea i had was my router could not be handling quake 3 server packets, I am going to get to get another router to get this, maybe ill also try taking the server other to another house to test if it exetel?

or am i missing something when i start a server, is there anything i have to do than the steps below ?
1. turn of firewall
2. forward ports
3. open game and click start server (quake 3 or enemy territory)

ill post more when i test another router, i am spent alot of time trying to fix it and something is blocking it or i have missed something really obvious.

Thanks

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:43 pm

Why would Exetel want to block Quake3 traffic? It'd be a minority compared to the P2P traffic, or even YouTube traffic.

Are you forwarding it correctly (i.e. UDP or TCP, and have the right internal LAN IP address?)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

player2 wrote:i also can connect to the server from a LAN PC but not when i use my internet IP address. any suggestions ?
Does sound like the ports are not open correctly; double check with www.portforward.com for your modem model

player2

Post by player2 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Yes, i do know who to use a computer and i can forward port. i can forward bittorrent ports.

It turn out the issue was the router. I borrowed a friends on today and it took me 5min to setup everything and have it connect, I plugged mine back it and it won't connect again.

I am going to flash the firmware in the morning and see if that fixes it.

player2

Post by player2 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:07 pm

This issue was the billion router but..

i did manage to get it working for a while. I have two PC on windows and one linux. I have been taking turn host and connecting. After forwarding the port then trying to connect to it by restarting the client (program only) and server i was able to connect after 10min. i tried this again, this time the linux box hosting with no luck.

I think there is somthing funny with the billion firmware. Not sure if its it doesn't like you mapping a port then changing it, or if it doesn't porting being mapped to window then changing it to windows but there is something up.

Thanks

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:15 pm

From memory, some Billion models have two sections which you need to configure to forward ports: Virtual Server and Port Redirection/Forwarding I think.

Otherwise, you may want to try a firmware upgrade and the retry forwarding ports.