Hacker on port 50 (help)

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
CrackerJak1

Hacker on port 50 (help)

Post by CrackerJak1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:55 am

Every time I load utorrent now this dipsh!t with a canadian ip (70.51.165.33) is trying to hack into my pc through utorrent using port 50.

Comodo detected the hacker and blocked his ip (not before the virus scanner detected the backdoor hack) but he/she is constantly probing my connection, the intrusion attempts counter continually ticks over in comodo and I'm wondering if this is adversely affecting my p2p speeds?

Now that I know the ip where the attacks are being directed from is there anything I can do to fight back? I'd rather this pr!k was completely unable to probe my ports via utorrent. Is a change of ip address the best option and are there any ways to avoid this crap in the future (other then not using p2p)

Franpa

Re: Hacker on port 50 (help)

Post by Franpa » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:22 pm

are you sure the guy is not a seeder for the torrent your downloading and Comodo is reporting a false positive?
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Hacker on port 50 (help)

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:04 am

Also, your router should have a firewall which naturally blocks incoming probes on ports not explicitly opened via port forwarding. Are you sure this is not some trojan attempting to open up, or tunnel out of, port 50? Port 50 is very strange. It is a reserved port and so no P2P client should be attempting a connection on it.

Do the attempts happen upon uTorrent starting up (all transfers stopped), or only when downloading a torrent?

Edit: Port 50 is used by people who fall for the stupid "uTorrent setup guides" that give absolutely ludricrous combinations of upload limit speeds, global connections, etc that are more likely to cripple your connection than improve it. That and the torrenters that are pointlessly trying to avoid throttling in Canada throttling...morons