CPU & Motherboard temps

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Tafkam

CPU & Motherboard temps

Post by Tafkam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:47 pm

What's considered normal for CPU and Motherboard temps? My husband's is running at 90°C (approx. CPU) and 40°C (approx. Motherboard) and is roaring it's head off, and it's supposed to be idling! That seems awfully hot to me. Fans are working.
It's a P4 3ghz
Any help appreciated.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: CPU & Motherboard temps

Post by Dazzled » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 pm

It is certainly on the warm side. There are some indications of normal CPU temps at http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.p ... temp.shtml For what little it's worth, my Athlon is currently at 40 deg (ACPI) and it has been working hard for an hour.

Edit: Laptop? Desktop? My comparison is with a desktop box with a ducted CPU cooler and 3 large case fans.
Last edited by Dazzled on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karLos

Post by karLos » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:09 pm

my p4 3ghz also runs very hot. so hot sometimes it actually turns itself off. i think 90 is at least 10-20 degrees too hot.

this is why when i bought a notebook, i was sure it had an AMD processor. yay for personal prejudice!

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks for that dazzled. According to that, he should be running at under 78°C so way too hot. Now we'll have to try to determine what's causing it to overheat. It's not ambient temp, as my PCs in this room as well with no problems, and it's air conditioned anyway. There's no dust, he's fastidious about that.

Pav L
Exetel Staff

Post by Pav L » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 pm

Tafkam wrote:Thanks for that dazzled. According to that, he should be running at under 78°C so way too hot. Now we'll have to try to determine what's causing it to overheat. It's not ambient temp, as my PCs in this room as well with no problems, and it's air conditioned anyway. There's no dust, he's fastidious about that.
I'm assuming that you guys have had the PC for a while now since it's a P4 which means it's likely that the thermal paste is all dried up (paste put between the CPU and heatsink to improve conductivity), so you probably just need to remount the heatsink with new thermal paste.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:43 pm

OK we've just pulled the thing apart and the little clips that hold the fan on to the CPU were loose! We've reseated it and it now seems to be running much MUCH more quietly, and presumably, cooler. Have yet to check the temps.
Thank you everyone for your advice & ideas.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:59 pm

If it had a pad under it, they usually are a no-reuse item. If paste, do as Pav suggested. See http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.p ... temp.shtml
(Where has it been - I have never seen one unclip itself)

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:19 pm

My husband thinks it's possible he bumped it when cleaning inside...who knows! I've never seen one become dislodged either. He says there seemed to be a fair coating of thermal paste still there, but I think it would be better to get new stuff anyway.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:06 pm

OK it's started roaring again, and temp is up around 92°C. We've applied a new lot of Arctic Silver, to no avail.
Could it be a faulty fan? It seems to be spinning ok....

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Do you have Speedfan or other software installed that shows the speed of the fan?

Is it a stock Intel fan? 90oC is very hot, even for a P4.

Check Task manager, is something using the CPU? Do you have Windows Desktop Search installed?

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Jason, It's an ASUS motherboard....and I think I read somewhere that there's a temperature utility for them...I might go look.
We checked the Task Manager, and the CPU was doing nothing. I'm not sure about WIndows Desktop Search, will have to check that.