New Naked ADSL connection active but no internet

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
northfreo

New Naked ADSL connection active but no internet

Post by northfreo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:25 pm

G'day, I've got a new connection here on a new Telstra line in a new townhouse.
Exetel application status today says ADSL Activation Completed On This Date 2009-03-27
Have logged in to the member pages and can change contact details now where before it wasn't yet active. The telephone also doesn't call out any more but there is a dialtone.
Does this mean the ADSL should be fully connected and ready to go as I'm not getting an ADSL light on my Belkin/iinet router. Have brought it over from previous house where we had Naked ADSL with iinet but pretty sure it's usable with any ISP. Have kept the settings same, just changed our SSID name and of course using the username/password in my Exetel email with the modem settings to connect. Have checked the other settings and seems to be ok with what was in there previously - the main page of my modem setup just says Line Status: Physical Down and nothing about being connected or otherwise to ADSL. The wireless network is working well, can access throughout the house which is good but there just doesn't seem to be internet coming through the line.
Do I have to wait longer for ADSL to become active? Also when we had iinet hooked up a guy came over to connect it and told us which phone point we could use with the router but there was no visit from Exetel (if this is even required).
Would appreciate a bit of advice on what I need to do to get ADSL going if there is any way to test it is really active?
Cheers,
Darren

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New Naked ADSL connection active but no internet

Post by jokiin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:07 am

are you posting this from somewhere else, I noticed you have posted with an Exetel IP address

any proxy or DNS settings left over from iiNet, not that familiar with their setup but I do hear people complaining when trying to reuse their modems with other providers, not sure if that is with any specific Belkin model though

northfreo

Post by northfreo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Yes I'm using the Exetel HSPA to access internet in the meantime.
I can doublecheck the settings or reset my modem to factory defaults but it seemed unusual that it would say Line Status: Physical Down. Would it not detect something and just not be able to connect if settings were wrong? I'm just wondering how to check if the line is activated for Naked DSL. Can I plug the modem into any phone point?
Cheers

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:45 pm

northfreo wrote:I can doublecheck the settings or reset my modem to factory defaults but it seemed unusual that it would say Line Status: Physical Down. Would it not detect something and just not be able to connect if settings were wrong? I'm just wondering how to check if the line is activated for Naked DSL. Can I plug the modem into any phone point?
Yeah, incorrect settings would not explain the "physical line down" message. You can plug the modem into any phone socket, and I think I recall hearing that even though you have Naked ADSL, you can still plug a phone into the wall socket (with filter) and hear a different sort of dial tone, something akin to a busy signal.

If you don't hear anything at all, or static, it may indicate a provisioning issue and will probably need to log a "No sync" support ticket via, say, email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au or https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au

northfreo

Post by northfreo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks, I've just brought in another modem, D-Link DSL-G604T which I reset to factory defaults, connected to a different phone point and set up according to exetel email instructions and on Wiki but experience the same problem. Have sent in a support ticket on the issue.
Cheers,
Darren

monu

Post by monu » Sun May 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi,
I seem to be having a similar problem.
- Moved to a new unit.
- Got telstra line activated.
- Applied for Naked ADSL.
- Status on website is showing ADSL is active now.
- I'm not getting an ADSL light on my Belkin/iinet router. Modem setup says Line Status: Physical Down

Just wondering how the above issue was solved.
Cheers!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun May 24, 2009 5:13 pm

monu, you should log a fault via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or emailing residentialsupprt@exetel.com.au. These issues usually require resolution by Exetel