Will I lose my settings

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
doogie

Will I lose my settings

Post by doogie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:51 pm

I am going on a holiday for a week and can see no point in leaving my wireless modem router and voip ata switched on. In fact I am being a good boy and trying to reduce my co2 output. LOL!! I figure there is no need to leave computers and other communications equipment switched on when I am not here. If I turn off all the power at the main power outlet for the duration of my holiday, will I lose any/all my current settings in my router or my voip ata? Everything is working just nicely after a fair bit of tweaking and I would be shattered if it was all to disappear.

Thanks

JasonM

Re: Will I lose my settings

Post by JasonM » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Check your equipment for a 'backup settings' option, in case it does lose settings. It shouldn't though, as the devices typically save settings after they are configured.

doogie

Post by doogie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 pm

Jason, I have a dynalink RTA1025W modem/router and a linksys pap2t ata. I naturally save settings in the router by clicking on a save tab and the pap2t always says to wait while settings are being saved. So I guess I assume from this that both should hold the configuration settings even without power from the mains. Do they hold the settings in flash memory or something?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:25 pm

doogie wrote:Jason, I have a dynalink RTA1025W modem/router and a linksys pap2t ata. I naturally save settings in the router by clicking on a save tab and the pap2t always says to wait while settings are being saved. So I guess I assume from this that both should hold the configuration settings even without power from the mains. Do they hold the settings in flash memory or something?
Yes.

doogie

Post by doogie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks for all your good advice Jason. I can enjoy my holiday and help the planet a little bit at the same time. Cheers

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm

doogie wrote:Thanks for all your good advice Jason. I can enjoy my holiday and help the planet a little bit at the same time. Cheers
Switch to GreenPower and help the planet all the time :)

And enjoy the fact that Exetel is also using 100% greenpower (you should really push that Exetel - good marketing and its not greenwashing!).