New user - can't connect my Mac

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
mwillson

New user - can't connect my Mac

Post by mwillson » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi all,

my Naked ADSL2 has just been activated but I am having all sorts of problems getting connected. I have a Dynalink RTA1320 modem, which I have set to all the factory defaults. I've logged into the control panel of the modem and have set my username & password correctly. I've plugged the modem into my iMac with an ethernet cable. All the lights on my modem are lit up except for 'PPP', which leads me to believe there's an issue with the network settings on my Mac. I've got no idea what my settings should be on my Mac, whether i connect with PPPoE and/or what my TCP/IP settings should be and I don't know what the hell DHCP is and if it should be on or off?!?!

There seems to be some kind of network conflict EG. To access the control panel of my modem I type in 192.168.1.1 into my browser, but when I change the network settings on my iMac to connect using PPPoE I can no longer log into the modem control panel. Is there a conflict somewhere with this number?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New user - can't connect my Mac

Post by jokiin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:02 pm

you need to decide whether you want to use this as a modem or a modem/router as you are describing two different functions, better to be using it as a modem/router in which case the user name and password is done in the Dynalink and it gives out DHCP addresses so your MAC is just a plug in and go setup, the PPP light should be on solid if you have it configured correctly, maybe have a closer look at the manual http://tempw530.utopia.co.nz/cms/upload ... manual.pdf

mwillson

Re: New user - can't connect my Mac

Post by mwillson » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:13 am

all fixed, the problem was at Exetel's end. Thanks for the reply.