Download scheduling

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

Download scheduling

Postby CoreyPlover on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

I have created this thread to deal with download scheduling queries.

The main ways to schedule downloads are:
If anybody has any recommendations of free download schedulers, please place them in here. I currently use NetTransport, but I'm sure there are free managers that are just as good, so I'd be interested to hear people's recommendations
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Download scheduling

Postby dbr on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Don't forget usenet. Similar to P2P, most usenet clients have an inbuilt scheduler Eg AltBinz. Tutorials etc at http://www.ozusenet.info/
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety
dbr

Postby Dazzled on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:04 pm

CoreyPlover has helped first with Windows, as that platform probably has the most users needing the information, but for Linux users, automated scheduling is quite straightforward, and depends on two plain text tables, /etc/crontab or the similar /etc/anacrontab. A crontab is a simple text file that holds a list of commands that are to be run at specified times. These commands, and their related run times, are controlled by the cron daemon or anacron and are executed in the background. More information can be found by viewing the crontab and anacrontab man pages.

But (sigh of relief here) you don't have to work with the command line interface....

Many Linux GUI applications for torrents, downloaders (like Kget), backups (like sbackup) and tv recorders already have menus with the ability to preset activation time, which results in entries being automatically written into the underlying tables. You can expect this behaviour with applications that are commonly run to a schedule of some sort.

For the rest, if editing cron tables is a worry, the various desktops have GUIs to do it for you, eg Gnome-schedule (http://gnome-schedule.sourceforge.net/) or Kcron for the KDE desktop (http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeadmin/ ... kcron.html). If not already installed by default, these are in all the major repositories. For Ubuntu users just go to Add/Remove and it is done.

Some configured applications with no menu-based scheduling have a menu item to print out for inspection the underlying terminal command that the app actually executes. This enables the correct command to be pasted into one of the scheduling tools.

I sometimes set up usenet downloads in Pan, and then quit. It is re-activated in the background by the scheduler at the desired later time to execute the uncompleted instructions. You can do the same with most downloaders that pick up later where they left off.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby tr3nton on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 pm

A couple of other good downloaders are flashget (http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm ) and JDownloader (http://jdownloader.org/ ).. both free :D
hi
tr3nton

Postby CoreyPlover on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:39 am

I've just come across one more application called Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) which I have just tried out and am very impressed by.

It is a download manager (with scheduling abilities) but also features a torrent client, streaming video downloading AND automatic conversion and full integration into IE & Firefox. The only thing to be aware of is that the installation process will prompt whether you wish to install "Software Informer", a piece of software bundled with Free Download Manager so you should ensure you uncheck that box during installation if you so desire.
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby Les on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:16 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:For example, Windows automatic updating is under Settings, Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates

The time selected on the Automatic Updates tab of System Properties only defines when the updates will be installed not when they are downloaded.

You can control when Automatic Updates is allowed to download updates via the Group Policy settings for Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

If you cut and paste the settings listed below into Notepad and save as BITS.reg you can then load these settings into the Registry by double clicking on the file BITS.reg that you saved. The changes will take effect when the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is restarted which for most people is when the PC is restarted.

These settings will prevent Automatic Updates from performing downloads between 9am and 3am. The 6 hour window between 3am and 9am is usually more then sufficient time.

If you apply these settings, I suggest you also change the time selected on the Automatic Updates tab of System Properties to 6am, but you can still choose any of the the other options if that's your preference and Automatic Updates will perform its downloads between 3am and 9am.

--- Cut and Paste the following ---

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS]
"EnableBITSMaxBandwidth"=dword:00000001
"MaxBandwidthValidFrom"=dword:00000009
"MaxBandwidthValidTo"=dword:00000003
"MaxTransferRateOffSchedule"=dword:00000400
"MaxTransferRateOnSchedule"=dword:00000000
"UseSystemMaximum"=dword:00000001
Last edited by Les on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les

Postby Les on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:51 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I've just come across one more application called Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) which I have just tried out and am very impressed by.

I came accross this app a few weeks back and must admit I've found it to be very good.
Les

Postby peterh_oz on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Les wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:For example, Windows automatic updating is under Settings, Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates

The time selected on the Automatic Updates tab of System Properties only defines when the updates will be installed not when they are downloaded.

You can control when Automatic Updates is allowed to download updates via the Group Policy settings for Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

If you cut and paste the settings listed below into Notepad and save as BITS.reg you can then load these settings into the Registry by double clicking on the file BITS.reg that you saved. The changes will take effect when the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is restarted which for most people is when the PC is restarted.

These settings will prevent Automatic Updates from performing downloads between 9am and 3am. The 6 hour window between 3am and 9am is usually more then sufficient time.

If you apply these settings, I suggest you also change the time selected on the Automatic Updates tab of System Properties to 6am, but you can still choose any of the the other options if that's your preference and Automatic Updates will perform its downloads between 3am and 9am.

--- Cut and Paste the following ---

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS]
"EnableBITSMaxBandwidth"=dword:00000001
"MaxBandwidthValidFrom"=dword:00000009
"MaxBandwidthValidTo"=dword:00000003
"MaxTransferRateOffSchedule"=dword:00000400
"MaxTransferRateOnSchedule"=dword:00000000
"UseSystemMaximum"=dword:00000001

I'm getting the following error:

reg-error.jpg
reg-error.jpg (65.46 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
peterh_oz

Postby austdata on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:16 am

Les wrote:

Will this work for Vista or is it only for WXP?
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.
austdata

Postby Les on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:20 am

Make sure that the line containing "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" is the first line in BITS.reg
Les

Postby Les on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:26 am

It should work with any version os Windows with Background Intelligent Transfer Service 2.0 or later.

That means it should work with Windows Xp Sp2 or later, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.0.
Les

Postby spotty on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:08 pm

A download manager for Mac I can recommend - Speed Download - excellent!

Cheers
spotty

Postby jenkos on Fri May 08, 2009 11:43 am

Hi,

For RS, Mega & other similar file storage sites I use JDownloader.

http://jdownloader.org/

Works for Free users. It can (mostly) read/write captchas. Add multiple links. Unrar when d/ls finished.

It has a scheduler, only 1 problem, it loses the schedules when the program is re-started!! But I rarely shutdown my PC (sleep only) so it's OK.

jenkos.
jenkos

Postby quill3033 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:47 am

Hi, Corey - I'm really upset at Exetel cutting down my off peak time by two hours especially the two hours i would use it the most. Could you point me to the thread where I can post this?

and no, scheduling doesn't work for me. I can't really do a whole lot of things and really it means two hours less but much more than that it means you are significantly reducing your service and that is not ok - why go to all the trouble of asking people what they want in terms of times and then just cut two hours a day or 24 hours a month off them? There is no point in having 50 gig if you can't use them because you restrict the times. that's a rip off!
quill3033

Postby CoreyPlover on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:59 pm

quill3033 wrote:Hi, Corey - I'm really upset at Exetel cutting down my off peak time by two hours especially the two hours i would use it the most. Could you point me to the thread where I can post this?
I can see you've already found the thread.

quill3033 wrote:There is no point in having 50 gig if you can't use them because you restrict the times. that's a rip off!
10 hours of off-peak a day x 30 days per month, divided into 60GB means that you only need 56KB/s to max out your quota. So I think you should reconsider your statement that you can't use it because of the time restriction.
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Next

Return to Other