Download scheduling

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

Re: Download scheduling

Postby vk3xem on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:49 pm

quill3033 wrote:scheduling doesn't work for me.

Why not? It works for countless other people. Downloading isn't an interactive process, you don't need to sit at the keyboard and watch it. 99% of people do other things like sleep while the download proceeds. That is the whole idea of making use of your off-peak so as not to disrupt other users interactive uses online like gaming, browsing and VoIP which suffer tremendously because of downloads starting the moment off-peak begins.

Let's face it off-peak is meant to be when few people are actively online, downloads can slow down and they still work. But if gaming, browsing, VoIP etc are slowed down they often fail and that isn't fair. So why can't you schedule?
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM
vk3xem

Re: Download scheduling LINUX

Postby quill3033 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:53 am

Dazzled wrote:CoreyPlover has helped first with Windows, as that platform probably has the most users needing the information, but for Linux users, automated scheduling is quite straightforward, and depends on two plain text tables, /etc/crontab or the similar /etc/anacrontab. A crontab is a simple text file that holds a list of commands that are to be run at specified times. These commands, and their related run times, are controlled by the cron daemon or anacron and are executed in the background. More information can be found by viewing the crontab and anacrontab man pages.

But (sigh of relief here) you don't have to work with the command line interface....

Many Linux GUI applications for torrents, downloaders (like Kget), backups (like sbackup) and tv recorders already have menus with the ability to preset activation time, which results in entries being automatically written into the underlying tables. You can expect this behaviour with applications that are commonly run to a schedule of some sort.

For the rest, if editing cron tables is a worry, the various desktops have GUIs to do it for you, eg Gnome-schedule (http://gnome-schedule.sourceforge.net/) or Kcron for the KDE desktop (http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeadmin/ ... kcron.html). If not already installed by default, these are in all the major repositories. For Ubuntu users just go to Add/Remove and it is done.

Some configured applications with no menu-based scheduling have a menu item to print out for inspection the underlying terminal command that the app actually executes. This enables the correct command to be pasted into one of the scheduling tools.

I sometimes set up usenet downloads in Pan, and then quit. It is re-activated in the background by the scheduler at the desired later time to execute the uncompleted instructions. You can do the same with most downloaders that pick up later where they left off.

I use KALARM (in ubuntu linux and it works fine in gnome desktop) . I just go to the command option in kalarm dialog box and insert the name of the program I want it to start at a particular time - eg deluge or ktorrent and i do another alarm to stop the program at a certain time. In the command option I put in killall ktorrent OR killall deluge and the alarm gives the time when this will happen. I found this simpler than organising the bandwidth schedulers in these programs.
quill3033

Re: Download scheduling LINUX

Postby JeremyP on Wed May 12, 2010 11:03 pm

quill3033 wrote:I use KALARM (in ubuntu linux and it works fine in gnome desktop) . I just go to the command option in kalarm dialog box and insert the name of the program I want it to start at a particular time - eg deluge or ktorrent and i do another alarm to stop the program at a certain time. In the command option I put in killall ktorrent OR killall deluge and the alarm gives the time when this will happen. I found this simpler than organising the bandwidth schedulers in these programs.

Back when i used to use Hellanzb i simply had 2 cronjobs in place, 1 was to start hellanzb for offpeak another to kill it when it hit peak.

Now i use Sabnzbdplus via its web interface and have 2 schedules in place as per my previous cronjobs.
JeremyP

Previous

Return to Other