Unable to cnnect to MSN or certain websites

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
withaph

Unable to cnnect to MSN or certain websites

Post by withaph » Sun May 03, 2009 1:06 pm

This is starting to drive me bonkers so I'm hoping someone can help here.

I reinstalled Vista Home onto my partners laptop recently and every since have been having issues connecting to MSN and http://www.nab.com.au (and other websites too - they are just the examples I've got right now) - MSN times out - nab just loads and loads and loads forever. Many websites work fine however.

I have another PC (running XP) on the same network (wirless/dhcp) and it doesn't have any of these issues - only this Vista laptop - it's becoming hair-pullingly frustrating as I can't for the life of me work out whats going on.
The ever useful MSN connection troubleshooter doesn't report any issues - the MSN connection logs show a lot of network chatter going on finally ending with

Canceling logon with MSGR_E_LOGIN_TIMEOUT.

I don't appear to be able to access many Microsoft Live sites either on the laptop.

It was working before the reinstall of Vista too ><

Anyone have any suggestions?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Unable to cnnect to MSN or certain websites

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Vista has some well known problems with MS updating when some of the anti-malware suites are used. Norton is the best known offender - disable it or better, remove it, and see what happens.

I know Vista users need some protection, but some of these firewalls can really screw it.

withaph

Post by withaph » Tue May 05, 2009 1:14 am

I wish it were that simple - Norton was the first thing I removed after the reinstall :P

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 am

If Norton's not doing it, this has worked for some who couldn't get onto Microsoft to do their updates: in Vista, set the DNS servers to 220.233.0.3 and 220.233.0.4, and check by pinging download.microsoft.com. If you can't resolve it, check your Network Adapter configuration for IPv6 instances, untick these and reboot.

IPv6 can take a minute or more to finish handshaking with IPv4 routers used by the various Australian banks. In Linux I modprobe it out in the boot sequence. In FIrefox, on all operating systems, including Windows, you can disable it in the settings - go to about:config "network.dns.disableIPv6", and set it true.

withaph

Post by withaph » Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 am

I'd tried the DNS settings already, but not the IPv6 stuff - I'll give that a try tonight - cheers,