IP Address change - Discussion

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
NetworkAdmin

IP Address change - Discussion

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:43 pm

The following email has been sent to the customers whose IP address will be changed:
This is a courtesy email to let you know that between at 1am and 2am on 3 September 2009, your IP address will change to a new number.

Your current IP address is: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Your new IP address will be: 115.xxx.xxx.xxx

The number change will not make any difference to your Internet access or any other part of your Exetel service. We are making this once off
change to better manage our IP address pool allocation. You do not need to take any action or change any settings, except in these two special cases only:

a. You operate public internet servers connected to your Exetel service. In this case you will need to change your DNS records to reflect your new IP address.

b. You have a block of IP addresses allocated to you by Exetel. In which case please email businesssupport@exetel.com.au with the details of your routed address block and we will ensure routing continuity when the changeover happens. In all other cases, the change will be done automatically, and will not affect or disrupt your service.

A forum topic has been created for any further discussion and comments here:

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33195

This notice will be repeated one week and then one day before the change.

Regards,

Exetel Pty Ltd
Please note: This change is only for SOME customers only in NSW, or those customers whose service terminates on a Sydney router. The IP address of anyone on a plan under 18GB/month usage will change, those on plans over 18GB/month will NOT change.

Also, if you do not get an email notice, then your IP address will not be changed.

lownoise

Re: IP Address change - Discussion

Post by lownoise » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:10 pm

will the DNS IP addresses change?

akeith

Post by akeith » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Will the change of IP effect my linkage to a VPS service.

Akeith.

wryun

Post by wryun » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:40 pm

This is a bit annoying. Oh well.

andcorp

Post by andcorp » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:10 pm

It is annoying, as I have various reverse VNC clients out there that will be pointing to the wrong IP soon. But not being on a business grade connection, we cant expect too much i guess. Are we allowed to know the reason for the change...for curiousities sake ?

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:33 pm

I have a Reverse DNS setup on my IP through you guys. Will this be changed automagically too?

maestro

Post by maestro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:09 pm

I have an authoritive DNS for my domain, and also the mail exchanger running off my Exetel connection. I am planning to publish a secondary MX record with my new IP address so hopefully any mail in the transition period will find me (MX records will fail over based on priority). As far as the domain itself, the slave DNSs should tide me over until I can fix everything up. I don't think I am able to add a secondary A record (for things like my website) as it does not fall back to the other address if one fails. I guess I will be offline for a while there (until morning when I can fix it, plus half a day or so while the cached DNS entries catch up). Anyone know a neat solution to this?

I will need to know the reverse DNS name for my new address as I will need to supply the DNS registrar with my new nameservers name (they seem to need the name as well as the IP).

Is it possible to move this to a more convenient time... "between at 1am on 3 September 2009" is neither descriptive, nor convenient for me to manually update other settings to match. I want to have as little downtime as possible.

Also, will the modem need rebooting or will this just come through seamlessly?

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:23 pm

lownoise wrote:will the DNS IP addresses change?
Since the DNS record for your IP address includes the IP address, then yes, it will change to reflect your new IP address.

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:24 pm

akeith wrote:Will the change of IP effect my linkage to a VPS service.

Akeith.
If that service is dependent on the IP address, then yes, you will need to change whatever settings to the new IP address.

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:26 pm

andcorp wrote:It is annoying, as I have various reverse VNC clients out there that will be pointing to the wrong IP soon. But not being on a business grade connection, we cant expect too much i guess. Are we allowed to know the reason for the change...for curiousities sake ?
The reasons are:

1. re-origination and management of our IP address assignments from APNIC
2. it will give us the ability to better optimize routing on the NSW network
3. to rationalize the use of our IP address pool, which is a little out of shape after 5 1/2 years

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:27 pm

thomashouseman wrote:I have a Reverse DNS setup on my IP through you guys. Will this be changed automagically too?
Can you please email businesssupport@exetel.com.au with the details, to ensure it is flagged for change.

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:35 pm

maestro wrote:I have an authoritive DNS for my domain, and also the mail exchanger running off my Exetel connection. I am planning to publish a secondary MX record with my new IP address so hopefully any mail in the transition period will find me (MX records will fail over based on priority). As far as the domain itself, the slave DNSs should tide me over until I can fix everything up. I don't think I am able to add a secondary A record (for things like my website) as it does not fall back to the other address if one fails. I guess I will be offline for a while there (until morning when I can fix it, plus half a day or so while the cached DNS entries catch up). Anyone know a neat solution to this?

I will need to know the reverse DNS name for my new address as I will need to supply the DNS registrar with my new nameservers name (they seem to need the name as well as the IP).

Is it possible to move this to a more convenient time... "between at 1am on 3 September 2009" is neither descriptive, nor convenient for me to manually update other settings to match. I want to have as little downtime as possible.

Also, will the modem need rebooting or will this just come through seamlessly?
First, your IP address is only going to change IF you receive the email notice saying it is. The change is only for SOME users in NSW , and not everyone's will change. So if you don't get the notice email, it means your IP address is not going to change.

The email should have read "between 1am and 2am", it has been corrected for future/repeat notices.

Please email businesssupport@exetel.com.au for the information you need to the DNS A records.

Your modem will not need to be rebooted - the change will be seamless.

If you do receive the notice and you IP address is going to change, then I think a secondary MX record will work well. As for your web site, I would crank the TTL right down before the event. so you only have at most half an hour of 'catch up' from servers that have cached your addresses.

oblong

Post by oblong » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 pm

NetworkAdmin wrote:Please note: This change is only for SOME customers only in NSW. The IP address of anyone in NSW on a plan under 18GB/month usage will change, those on plans over 18GB/month will NOT change.
I'm in Queensland and I got an e-mail about this, so why is that so?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:24 pm

NetworkAdmin wrote:
Please note: This change is only for SOME customers only in NSW. The IP address of anyone in NSW on a plan under 18GB/month usage will change, those on plans over 18GB/month will NOT change.

good to know, was just thinking of all the servers I remote access that I was going to have to update with my new IP and it turns out I won't be affected anyway, that's a load off :)

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:29 pm

oblong wrote:
NetworkAdmin wrote:Please note: This change is only for SOME customers only in NSW. The IP address of anyone in NSW on a plan under 18GB/month usage will change, those on plans over 18GB/month will NOT change.
I'm in Queensland and I got an e-mail about this, so why is that so?
Your service may be terminated on a NSW router.