IP Address change - Discussion

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
adsa75

Re: IP Address change - Discussion

Post by adsa75 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:07 am

Will this change affect my Exetel Profile?

I am currently on the Extreme Profile and I am also part of the Playstation Network (PSN) Pool.

Cheers.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:17 am

TrentG wrote:Few questions:

I dont think I need /30 blocks for what I have setup here, but I dont like the new IP/IPs
Well, it seems important to you, and if you are using it for any sort of commercial enterprise, you really should consider a /30 block, and even a business grade service.

As for the IP addresses, they are assigned by APNIC and part of the allocation for Australia.
This change I want to do now, can I do it now and not after September?
You want to change your IP address now or prior to the scheduled change? I think that can be arranged. I will check with the database admin.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:19 am

adsa75 wrote:Will this change affect my Exetel Profile?

I am currently on the Extreme Profile and I am also part of the Playstation Network (PSN) Pool.

Cheers.
It wont affect it.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 am

sparkles wrote:i have requested a change of plan and it will be over 18gig- it takes effect next month-

Your current plan is : TELH
Your requested plan is: TL-BB
Your requested change of plan date: Thursday August 13, 2009 06:12 pm

i also recieved an email- will the change of IP still happen?
I will ask the database admin to check and let you know.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:29 am

linarms wrote:I'm pretty annoyed about this. Very annoyed, actually.

Not only do I have various DNS records pointing at my current address, I also have a number of clients using IP-based ACL's to grant me access to their systems, and quite frankly, "my ISP is cleaning out its sock drawer" is a lame reason for me to give them when the time comes for them to change their routers, PLUS it sucks that I have to give them a specific timeframe to complete the work.
You really should use a business grade service for an Internet based business. Or at least get a /30 or bigger block for your hosted servers

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:31 am

HeathNet wrote:Forgive me for my ignorence, but im a little green on all this.
I have set up a static IP address on my computer, If my exetel IP address changes, does that mean my primary and secondary DNS server numbers will change, and hence affect my static IP for my computer?? or will it all automatically update without over riding my static IP??
The DNS server addresses you use will stay the same. Your WAN IP address will be automatically changed - you will not have to do anything.

eddieroberts

Post by eddieroberts » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:00 am

Re Address Changes.....

Bit of a chore entering the new address data into my Linux Muppy and Puppy
operating system (pen drives etc) but the up side is that it will isolate my URL
Address from any Botnicks or spam sites that have gathered my URL
over the last year or so ......Eddie

wongfre

Post by wongfre » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:05 am

I received email that my IP addr will change.
My current IP is aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
New IP will be 115.xxx.yyy.zzz

Networkadmin said I need to change my DNS. What should I change it to?
My current primary DNS is aaa.bbb.0.3 and seconday DNS is aaa.bbb.0.4

Will my 'default gateway' change too?
My current 'default gateway' is aaa.bbb.1.45

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 am

wongfre wrote:I received email that my IP addr will change.

You will not need to change your DNS settings.

What router are you using? You should not need to change your default gateway on the LAN side of your network, and the WAN IP address will change automatically.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:16 am

You do all realize that for most ADSL services with most ISP's you WAN IP address changes EVERY time you connect to the service? All ADSL modems and routers take care of that automatically, since it is the most common way of connecting broadband.

wongfre

Post by wongfre » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:36 am

NetworkAdmin wrote:
wongfre wrote:I received email that my IP addr will change.

You will not need to change your DNS settings.

What router are you using? You should not need to change your default gateway on the LAN side of your network, and the WAN IP address will change automatically.
Thanks. My router is D-Link DSLG604T

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:55 am

wongfre wrote: Thanks. My router is D-Link DSLG604T
Unless someone has gone to a lot of trouble to disable all the automatic configurations and change the default settings, you should have no problem and the modem will take care of the change automatically.

austdata

Post by austdata » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:10 pm

maestro wrote:I will set my TTL to 30 minutes and script an update to my DNS for midnight.
Maestro, I usually recommend setting the TTL to 5 minutes, 300 seconds, 24 hours before the change over. That gives plenty of time for your changed TTL to be delegated around the world. Then every DNS server that lists your site, anywhere in the world, will recheck for any change to the DNS Zone every 300 seconds. Except those that deliberately ignore changes to TTL or such low settings but that's there tough luck.

That should take care of an IP change to your website as far as the vast majority of the WWW is concerned.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:41 pm

An update has been made in the User Faculties area - if you have been flagged for an IP address change, now when you select the 'change IP address' feature in the user area, your IP address will be changed to the new range.

This is to allow people who what to make the change at a different time to be able to do it whenever they want.

cytec

Financial and business impact from this

Post by cytec » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:01 pm

This is really unacceptable in my circumstance. A few week weeks ago I placed a small (2 computer) business on an Exetel ADSL 1 home plan because they wanted remote access setup from home over a VPN and remote desktop.

When talking to the client on the phone about various ISP's, one the great things I was able say about Exetel was the free static IP as opposed to Bigpond. Now what Exetel management is telling me is that this client could lose that VPN connection and the entire setup that they paid me good money to go and setup and put their faith in Exetel because of my professional recommendation.

Not only do I look completely stupid now but this could financially hurt me and my relationship with this client. This is COMPLETELY unacceptable. You cannot advertise static IP and then change it regardless of home / business plans. Both still say "Free Static IP". In the case of this client that advertisement would appear to be misleading.