IP Address change - Discussion

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
thehaberz

Re: IP Address change - Discussion

Post by thehaberz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Coincidentally my service has been down all day. I have re-booted my router several times to no luck. I tried turning it off for a few hours. No luck. I manually cleared out the old IP Address and still no connection. It does not want to change the IP. Is this a problem on the Dslam end? Or should I log a fault. Was all working fine prior to the IP change over on Wednesday.

Thanks for NextG network and tethering on the iPhone!

Habes

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:28 am

thehaberz wrote:Coincidentally my service has been down all day. I have re-booted my router several times to no luck. I tried turning it off for a few hours. No luck. I manually cleared out the old IP Address and still no connection. It does not want to change the IP. Is this a problem on the Dslam end? Or should I log a fault. Was all working fine prior to the IP change over on Wednesday.

Thanks for NextG network and tethering on the iPhone!

Habes
Please send your details to williamc@exetel.com.au, who will investigate.

thehaberz

Post by thehaberz » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: My Service Issue.

I did a manual override of the IP address settings in the router and entered the new IP address and did not re-boot it. Previously this has worked as DHCP manually assigned IP Address.

Seemed to work. So much for not having to do anything.

Note I am on a Billion 7401VGP-M router. All working fine.

Habes. :D

shakows

Post by shakows » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

My IP address changed and I do not remember getting an email about it

I get plenty of Emails from Exetel but no record of an email about an IP address change

The only reason I know it changed was that I was checking my Router Config and noticed it was different

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:32 pm

shakows wrote:My IP address changed and I do not remember getting an email about it
Check your spam folder and also your email address in user facilities for notification.
I got three emails giving me heaps of notice about the pending change and all went very smoothly at my end :)
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

itsmic

Post by itsmic » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:00 am

Ever since my IP changed, I cannot connect to the Internet.

I got someone from Exetel to have a look at it - they called me back on Saturday. Before then, the Internet light on my modem was on.
But after the call from the technician on Saturday, the Internet light won't even turn on - even after switching the modem off for a long period of time.

Can I please get some help?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:08 pm

itsmic wrote:Ever since my IP changed, I cannot connect to the Internet.

I got someone from Exetel to have a look at it - they called me back on Saturday. Before then, the Internet light on my modem was on.
But after the call from the technician on Saturday, the Internet light won't even turn on - even after switching the modem off for a long period of time.

Can I please get some help?
Try resetting and reconfiguring your modem, I suspect you may have had the static IP specified in your modem settings previously.
After trying the above, if you still have problems, PM your service number to me.

syustia

Post by syustia » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:46 pm

I lost the ability to create site to site ipsec vpn once Exetel changed to 115.xxxx ip address.

I can't even ping the new ip address now. Does anyone experience similar issue ?

paulb

IP Address change later than advertised

Post by paulb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:49 am

Well, it's all rather interesting. I have been waiting since Thursday - the 3rd - for this IP change; nothing happened (using "External IP" add-on in Firefox which continuously monitors it - very convenient!) until about 15:30 yesterday when they spontaneously (no visible modem resets) changed over, foxing my wife trying to connect from home to "work" even though I had done so less than an hour before.

So from further checking I know all three of our locations swapped at about the same time, and it wasn't the third of the month. It hasn't concerned me much, just a few new numbers needed to be replaced in some software.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:57 am

if you hadn't rebooted the modem it would still be hanging onto the old IP

teretic

Post by teretic » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:40 pm

a: Transparent change .... FYI I had to disconnect my USB modem from the phone line to reset IP address; just powering off was not enough.

b; more interesting; Reverse DNS: my mate sent me a log of analysis of the new arrangements as seen through another host which i access through exetel:
"
here's you picking up mail with your new IP address:

Sep 4 20:30:30 sola qpopper[39491]: Client address "115.70.102.98" not
listed for its host name "98.102.70.115.static.exetel.com.au"

Sep 4 20:30:45 sola qpopper[39491]: Stats: idix 12 248122 0 0
115.70.102.98 115.70.102.98

The first is a warning only, but it prompted me to look it up:

paqi% host 115.70.102.98
98.102.70.115.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 98.102.70.115.static.exetel.com.au.

.. which is correct, but looking up that result:

paqi% host 98.102.70.115.static.exetel.com.au
98.102.70.115.static.exetel.com.au has address 220.233.102.98

.. is wrong, and it's not even your old IP address!

so you might want to let them know that your reverse DNS is set wrong,
maybe in that forum since it may also affect some number of people?
"

I"ll send a copy of this to businesssupport@exetel.com.au ;
smile.

itsmic

Post by itsmic » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:26 am

It has been almost one week and still nothing. A tech I talked to on the phone a few days ago said he will try to sort it out - but I haven't heard from him :evil:

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 am

itsmic wrote:It has been almost one week and still nothing. A tech I talked to on the phone a few days ago said he will try to sort it out - but I haven't heard from him :evil:
Call them back 0280301000.

itsmic

Post by itsmic » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:41 am

I will - I speak to a different person each time and I don't even know if they have a record of everything they have been trying to do in order to fix the situation...

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 am

itsmic wrote:I will - I speak to a different person each time and I don't even know if they have a record of everything they have been trying to do in order to fix the situation...
Of course they do, our records are based on your phone number.