IP Address change - Discussion

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
nottechengh

Re: IP Address change - Discussion

Post by nottechengh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi

I have a wireless modem which our laptops use to access the internet. Do I have to change any settings on the laptops or on the wireless modem?

cheers

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:09 pm

nottechengh wrote:Hi

I have a wireless modem which our laptops use to access the internet. Do I have to change any settings on the laptops or on the wireless modem?

cheers
No, the most you would have to possibly do is reboot the modem.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 am

Cable wrote:I have just tried a reverse DNS lookup on the new IP address quoted and a small random selection in the range and it gives host not found!! :(

As reverse DNS lookups are commonly used for various security checks my question is:

Exetel's reverse & forward DNS entries for the assigned static IP's, are they added when the IP becomes active, should they already be there or is this work in progress?
rDNS is now set up.

Andrew

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 am

SysAdmin wrote:
rDNS is now set up.

Andrew
Not working on my new IP.

http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/rdns.html gives me:
***.33.70.115.static.exetel.com.au
instead of my rdns name.

Having said that though, I only changed my IP about 20 min ago.

Should I email businesssupport@exetel.com.au with the details?

T.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:58 am

thomashouseman wrote:Not working on my new IP.

http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/rdns.html gives me:
***.33.70.115.static.exetel.com.au
instead of my rdns name.
I should've been clearer. The generic rDNS entries are now set up. :)
Having said that though, I only changed my IP about 20 min ago.

Should I email businesssupport@exetel.com.au with the details?
Please.

Andrew

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:16 am

Hmm ok.

I'm also getting send bounces since the IP has changed.
Client host [115.70.**.***] blocked using Trend Micro RBL+.)
I've googled this and it's pointed me to:

http://www.mail-abuse.com/enduserinfo_dul.html

which isn't very helpful.

The website states that Exetel needs to contact them ( http://www.mail-abuse.com/removereq_dul.html#nw_reorg ) to advise them that you've re-organised your network.

or even (http://www.mail-abuse.com/removereq_dul.html#nw_reorg )
Removal due to network reorganization
If an ISP, especially a smaller one with a single or more Class C networks to its name, reorganizes its IP address pool so its fixed servers and dial-ups change places, they may not be able to send mail normally due to their mail servers occupying former dial-up IPs listed in the MAPS DUL. We will remove the fixed servers from the DUL at minimum, or the whole network if no dial-up or dynamic IP addresses exist. When you contact us, you will need to supply us with a new list of your dial-up networks or state that you no longer have dial-up or dynamic IP addresses.
T.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:25 am

thomashouseman wrote:Hmm ok.

I'm also getting send bounces since the IP has changed.
It probably has a negative lookup cached. Give it a bit of time and it should be good. The new range
is declared static in the rDNS.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Custom rDNS records should be moved across now. If yours hasn't been, please email businesssupport@exetel.com.au.

Andrew

trev

Post by trev » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 pm

I just updated my offsite DNS servers, changed to my new IP address via the User Facilities, and lo... after a few minutes the SS4200 lost its ppp session, regained it with the new IP address and within 5 minutes my system was again reachable from the net via its hostname (replete with custom reverse DNS thanks to Jeremy).

Thanks Exetel. Completely painless.

itsgarry

Post by itsgarry » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:09 pm

I changed my IP address this morning at 7:45, prior to planning to go to work. Rebooted the modem five minutes later, but it never connected to the Internet again. Rang Exetel support, but it was prior to their business hours, so had to wait till after nine. :roll:

With the help of Exetel support, tried various things such as resetting the line, waiting half an hour and trying again, eventually had to do a factory reset of the modem, which fixed the issue.

But a factory reset of the modem is not nice, as I lost all my settings, had to reconfigure a laptop to connect to the default IP address of the modem, enter in all my settings by hand, reconfigure VOIP etc. Finally got it all working four hours later. Missed going to work as a result. :evil:

Message: Beware of the IP change, for some reason it does not always go smoothly :!:

xlyph

Post by xlyph » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey ppl,

Manually did the change-over to the new IP address via user facility over the weekend.

DNS preparations worked like a charm with no loss of service. One side affect thou is I am also experiencing bounced send mails thanks to DUL, checked it out at the below URL and it confirms this.

http://www.mail-abuse.com/cgi-bin/looku ... .70.XX.XXX

What do we do to fix this ? Admin said in a earlier post to wait a while but this is encroaching on 48hr since the change.

Any help appreciated.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:28 pm

xlyph wrote: What do we do to fix this ? Admin said in a earlier post to wait a while but this is encroaching on 48hr since the change.

Any help appreciated.
I filled out their webform link that's on this page: http://www.mail-abuse.com/removereq_dul.html

Telling them I now had my rDNS fixed and my IP is flagged as static and they replied about 30 min later saying:

115.70.xx.xxx has now been removed from the Trend Micro DUL. Thank you for contacting Trend Micro about this IP address.

Please note that it may take up to 48 hours for the changes to spread globally to all Trend Micro customers.

Kind regards,
Spam Investigations Team
Trend Micro, Inc.
but yes, lots of bounces and highly annoying. I had no idea so many companies used them for spam prevention!

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:41 pm

xlyph wrote:What do we do to fix this ? Admin said in a earlier post to wait a while but this is encroaching on 48hr since the change.
I've requested the have the whole block removed from their DUL list since it was probably added due to the
rDNS setuping being a touch slow to happen.

Andrew

xlyph

Post by xlyph » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
I filled out their webform link that's on this page: http://www.mail-abuse.com/removereq_dul.html

Telling them I now had my rDNS fixed and my IP is flagged as static and they replied about 30 min later saying:

115.70.xx.xxx has now been removed from the Trend Micro DUL. Thank you for contacting Trend Micro about this IP address.

Please note that it may take up to 48 hours for the changes to spread globally to all Trend Micro customers.

Kind regards,
Spam Investigations Team
Trend Micro, Inc.
Did the same and got the same response. Will test mail transfer over next few hours.
SysAdmin wrote:
I've requested the have the whole block removed from their DUL list since it was probably added due to the

Andrew
Lets hope this occurs as quickly as it did for us.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:10 pm

xlyph wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:

Andrew
Lets hope this occurs as quickly as it did for us.
Just looked up a few addresses in the range:

The IP address entered was not found on any database managed by Trend Micro's Network Reputation Services.

:)

Andrew